Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove this unkown file ....Help!

• Please log in to reply

dade1200

dade1200

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, Well I've been looking through my files and came across this file titled :6d328524822730197922c76db0d8. What is it? can any help me delete it ? Everytime i log off I get a error Window listing the file and saying " it is not responding". I have no idea where and when this file showed up or what it is for.

Edited by dade1200, 23 December 2007 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you write down the full path to this file? Could you write down the full error message?

dade1200

dade1200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well the Error appears evertime I shut down.. Its a windows message box and has the file in it and say its not responding..thats all it says. The path is unknow. I looked at the folder properties and only say C:/(and this blank) ...Its in my computer file

I have included screen shots of the folders inside the file

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.doc   176.5KB   23 downloads

Edited by dade1200, 23 December 2007 - 03:02 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you run a search for this folder? Use all advanced search options. This will help us to find the full path. I am sorry, but the attached file is too small for me to read.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The Skeptic

To offer some assistance......, but I do not know where to go from here. It looks like is IE7 is corrupt????
Possibly malware.
I will let you run with it.

I googled a few files.

http://www.google.co...amp;btnG=Search
http://www.google.co...p...GGL:en&aq=t
http://www.google.co...2006-23,GGGL:en

123runner

dade1200

dade1200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for looking into this. I am running an advanced search now..I will post my findings..

dade1200

dade1200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
here is what the search found ,, hope this helps

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
According to the last picture you posted, the file is C:\6d328524822730197922c76db0d8.

My first suspicion would be that you have some kind of malware infection.

Read through this area:
Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

Post your HijackThis log here:
Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extreamly busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for your assisrance, guys. The truth is that I can't find an answer to what this folder is. What I would do:

1: If you run IE7 please uninstall it in add/remove programs. This will roll you back to IE6. Lots of problems are caused by IE7.

2: If that doesn't work then I would follow ztruckers advice about approaching the malware forum.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It would be a good idea to check the Startup tab of msconfig to see if any unknown or unusual entries are listed there. Also look at the process shown on the Process tab of Task Manager, see if there is anything running there that is unknown or unusual. If you're not sure, you can use the tasklist command to get a list of the running tasks on your computer. The tasklist command is built into Windows XP Pro but not in XP Home. You can add it to Home by doing the following:

Go to http://windowsxp.mvp...ls/tasklist.zip to download tasklist.zip.
Extract tasklist.exe from the zip file and place it in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder. Enter tasklist /? to get a list of parameteres it accepts.

From a command prompt, enter tasklist /v /fo list > runtasks.txt

This will create a list of the tasks that are running on your computer in list format, with each entry similar to the following:

Image Name: MagicTune.exe
PID: 3268
Session Name: Console
Session#: 0
Mem Usage: 16,612 K
User Name: DESKTOP\rrkurtz
CPU Time: 0:00:03
Window Title: MagicTune Premium

Attach runtasks.txt to a post here and I and others can look at it and perhaps spot something out of the ordinary.

If you really want to delete the file you need to be able to see it. Try the following:

Open a command prompt (Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter)
Enter attrib 6d3* - the * is a wild card that means anything else, see if that lists the file and it's attributes.
If so, enter attrib -s -h -r 6d3* - that should clear any attributes that are hiding the file.
Enter del 6d3* - that should delete the file.

Note: Tasklist info posted by Bert Kiney, MSMVP, here: http://help.wugnet.c...pict584219.html