Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek/VIA sound for DOS games

• Please log in to reply

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi there. I've been intending to make all these old DOS games work under different computers, all pretty new for such standards (2-3 years tops), with full capabilities. I can handle most else...CD, mouse...but the sound eludes me.

Whether it's through XP's DOS box, or through a clean floppy/CD boot through DOS 6.22, I'd need the sound drivers or someting that can work the sound into these games. It's been a while since I last dealt with this, and clearly such options have become much more obscure.

I wanna do this on multiple computers, but I figure most of them should be compatible sound-wise, for the most part. There may be something generic enough to cover all Realtek, all AC'97 or even all VIA chipset things out there? That would be best.

The one I'm using right now is an onboard Realtek ALC655 6-channel, compliant with AC'97 2.3 (pretty commonplace afaik), on an ECS Elitegroup K8M800-M2 motherboard (version doesn't matter I think for motherboard, since all 3 use the same sound adapter).

If I can work this out, especially from a DOS boot, maybe on my next clean OS reinstall I'll make the computer dual-boot XP, DOS and perhaps even Linux. Yay for nostalgy and diversity heh.

So, thanks everyone, and I hope this topic is in the right part of the forum!

P.D.: If anyone's curious or needs to know, the main candidates for this retro gaming are Monkey Island 1 & 2, plus The Dig.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no such thing as a generic sound driver.
Even under DOS, you had to specifically locate a sound driver for your hardware and load it on each boot. These things are now redundant as XP has no true DOS prompt that existed under Windows 95 and 98.
Having said that, you may be able to get away with setting your DOS programs up throught the Command Prompt as a SoundBlaster Pro, IRQ 5, DMA 1 as a sound device, this was a good catch-all solution.