Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unwanted programs in the task manager

• Please log in to reply

grahame10

grahame10

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Is there any safe way to uninstall programs in the task manager i've got 32 running and don't think I use 90% of them, I would like to free up a bit of memory but sadly haven't the brain to try before asking you experts, I only use the computer for e-mails a bit of shopping and surfing and of cause reading the forums, heres hoping someone can help or at lease piont me in the right direction, Happy Christmas and new year to all

Thanks Grahame :)

I'm running xp pro
internet explorer 7 outlook express 6
avg anti-virus free edition
zone alarm firewall and anti-spy ware

ps been into msconfig and disabled a few programs from the start menu

Edited by grahame10, 23 December 2007 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
EDIT: Sorry, you seem to have already done what I was suggesting.

Edited by tiroshii, 23 December 2007 - 05:08 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just in case you want to look up any other running processes listed in the Task manager: Startup Applications List.

Since you used msconfig to stop programs you didn't want, the others you see in Task Manager may be needed for Windows to run. These you can tell by Image/User Names. Some processes you may have turned on via Windows, such as active indexing, but do not shut down any process from Task Manager unless it is a non-responding program. The shut down is only temporarily from the TM. It'll "be back" (sounds like Terminator's, lol) on reboot.

Ron

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks Major Payne

Sorry not to get back to you earlier, Thanks for the info haven't deleted any yet i've got one on there thats listed 7 times thats (Sv ghost) have googled it but it did'nt say if it can be removed, and its taken up a lot of memory (58,368)k in all any sugestions I can list them all if someone could give a little help :)

Thanks Grahame

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm sure you were referring to svchost.exe file. This process will have multiple runs. Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). It should be in Windows' system 32 folder. Anywhere else, it could be a possible virus.

You do not uninstall programs from the Task Manager. Use the Control Panel's utility Add/Remove Programs for that. Having 32 processes running is not very many. I have 48 running right now and yet my System Idle is around 98%. Be careful using Task Manager.

Ron

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Many thanks for that will just leave things as they are and be on the safe side

Thanks again Major Payne for your time Grahame :)