Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help setting up laptop

• Please log in to reply

Angelia

Angelia

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Was needing help setting up laptop.
It's a Christmas present for my daughter.
Want to know all I need to buy to setup a wireless internet connection.
Was going to buy a wireless router but wanted to make sure that's all I needed to set up for wireless internet.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Angelia
If you have a broadband modem already then you just need to buy a wireless router.
They are all pretty basic on the setup. Look for one that is vista ready for an easier setup.
Dlink have routers that will let you plug a usb thumb drive into your computer and then plug it into the router and it does all the setup for you.
Check your handbook on the laptop as some of them have a switch on them that has to be changed for wirless.
Cheers
peterm

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

If you have a broadband modem already then you just need to buy a wireless router.

:)

Not even sure what that is. I have DSL on desktop computer.

I'm so sorry. It took me long enough to figure out my computer and now I'm having to figure out the laptop.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
dsl=broadband

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you have a DSL/Cable modem already, you'll need to get a wireless router. The laptop will also need to have a wireless network interface. It may have one that's built-in already. If not, you'll need to get a PCMCIA or USB wireless network adapter. Hang in there. It's not as awful as it sounds.
I've probably jinxed you with that last statement. ;-)

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Hi Angelia

As 98springer mention you'll need a wireless router. Most new laptops have a build in network/Wireless LAN. If not, you'll need one as well.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
just buy a wireless router, a decent one wont set you back more then about £50. And don't worry about wireless on your new laptop, if you've bought it recently (within the last 18 months or so) then 99% it will have a built in wireless adapter. setting up your router won't be too difficult, you basically have to choose connection type which is PPPoE (in the uk I think) or PPPoA (anywhere else) <--- someone correct me if I'm wrong. and just put in your username and password for your broadband provider. then your laptop will pick up the network and automatically connect.

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
thanks all for your help.

Got the router today. I'm setting it up right now.Hopefully it will be ready before Santa comes.

:) Ha ha she's 16 she stopped believing in Santa a long time ago.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
make and model
just incase