Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply

nlmullen

nlmullen

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi,

My computer runs very slowly, especially on the internet. I believe it is because it is clogged up with stuff. It runs on Windows XP. Is it possible to unclog things. I request that Rorschach112 help me as he has been of great help to me in the past. Thanks,

Leisa

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Hi,

My computer runs very slowly, especially on the internet. I believe it is because it is clogged up with stuff. It runs on Windows XP. Is it possible to unclog things. I request that Rorschach112 help me as he has been of great help to me in the past. Thanks,

Leisa

• How often do you run Spyware/Adware checks?
  • How often do you de-fragment your hard drive(s)?
  • Have you run any MalWare checkers? See the applicable forum
  • How old is your computer? Over time hardware looses speed, no matter how fast the brochure says they are.

Edited by tiroshii, 23 December 2007 - 05:03 PM.

nlmullen

nlmullen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I did Spyware/Adware/Malware checks when my other computer wasn't well a couple of weeks ago, including AVG Antispyware, Ccleaner & Spyware Blaster. Haven't defragged in several months, so will try that now. The computer is about 5-6 years old. When I'm playing an interactive internet game with my daughter, while she is using our 2 yr old laptop, it takes my computer a much longer time to post results...this is when this computer's slowness is most noticeable. Also, the computer gets very slow when I'm using Quickbooks online edition. I realize that a 6 yr old computer is not going to run as well as a 2 yr old, but was hoping to clean it out a bit to get it working better. Thanks, Leisa

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Hello Leisa

A few things you should run that will help

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

I recommend that you use JKDefrag, it is very good and will help things a lot. It will take a while to run so probably best to do over night
http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

Make sure you don't have two anti-virus or two firewalls running. Security conflicts can lead to slow down.

Have a read of this link for a lot of other ways to speed up your PC
http://users.telenet...owcomputer.html

Other than that, there is only so much you can do for an old PC. Maybe add some more RAM, should help things.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
If it is only the internet connection, your wireless adapter or whatever you use to connect may be faulty or underpowered. I suggest trying what Rorschach112 said, but if you still have problems you may want to check your internet?

nlmullen

nlmullen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I will try all you suggest. Thanks to both of you and Merry Christmas! Leisa