Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

'02fanatic

'02fanatic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just plugged my external WD My Book Premium hard drive in and all the files appear as 5.3 mb files with symbols like φs or ±∞S. I have about 230GB of files, mostly 700ish Mb movie files, on the hard drive and all the data is still there just nothing is indexing correctly (I believe) and will not open. When I try to open a file it asks which program I would like to open it with and if I try Windows Media Player I get this error message,

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available."

I can still transfer new files to it and they display correctly and play correctly. I haven't used the drive in about a month prior to this and last time I used it I turned it off before unplugging it.

Does anyone have any idea on what is going wrong or how I could fix it? There is a data recovery place downtown but it is closed on sundays and probably monday and tuesday because of christmas. I'd like to keep the data but it's not that big of a deal if I can't recover it.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try running the Windows disk error-checker on it:
My Computer->right-click the appropriate drive letter and select 'Properties'.
Click the 'Tools' tab then the "Check now" button.
Tick both options and click 'Start'

'02fanatic

'02fanatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Try running the Windows disk error-checker on it:
My Computer->right-click the appropriate drive letter and select 'Properties'.
Click the 'Tools' tab then the "Check now" button.
Tick both options and click 'Start'

I did that and now the HD displays nothing(i.e. no file folders, files, etc...)but still says it has 230Gb of files. Any other ideas?