Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Future Build

• Please log in to reply

dmar713

dmar713

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would like to get advice and suggestions on building a new computer. I am trying to give everyone as much information as I
possible anticipate you would want to know. I appologiese for so much information, if you have a specific questions please ask, I will try to answer.

Things to consider:

1. Windows Vista or Windows Vista 64 ( Both are free to me)
2. I play one game on/off Everquest II
3. I use my pc for internet/email/some work at home (Excel and Word)
I also like to off load my digital pictures on my pc, I like to watch the ocasional movie/listen to Itunes.
4. I like to be able to turn my computer on and its ready to go. I would like to have room for
expansion if something comes along in the future that i want. I get impatient with having to wait on others computers to load up
or not being able to multi task quickly.
5. I would like to stay in the 1500.00 to 1700.00 range.
6. I have not considered a type of cooling system yet. I would like to try Liquid Cooling, but have no clue.
7. I already have a case and a extra Monitor (DVI)
8. I don't plan on overclocking or anything like that. I would prefer to build it and have limited to no tweeking.
9. I would also like to add a biometric finger print scanner, as my current pc has this.
10. I do not plan on running two video cards in SLI. Highly unlikley I would be that serious into gaming.
11. I would like to have a computer that will be around 3-5 years down the road. I also believe you pay for what you get and I would like to stay with companies that have a good reputation and good help and good warranties.

Below is a list of items I have considered. I don't even know if they are suitable to work with each other. I am by no means inlove with any
of these items, except the case as it was given to me FREE lol *NEW*
Please feel free to offer advice/comments/criticism, because I really need it. I plan to build the computer over the next 6 months.

Motherboard: BFG 680i SLI Motherboard
Motheboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
CPU

Memory: OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Memory

Graphics Card: BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS OC WC 640MB PCIe
Graphics Card

I already have this computer case, it was given to me new.
Computer Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Computer Case

CD/DVD: LITE-ON Black 12X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive
CD/DVD/Blue-Ray

Internal Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Internal Hard Drive

Keyboard/Mouse: Microsoft USB Bluetooth Wireless Standard Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth Mouse Included
Keyboard/Mouse/Bluetooth

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Looks like a good build, but I have a few things.

1. If you are not going to be using SLI, that mobo is overkill. Look to get a P35 mobo. This is a nice one..
2. Both the 8800GT and 8800GTS (G92 512MB) outperform the video card you've chosen, and for a cheaper price. However, if you are only going to be playing Everquest II, you could even go with an HD3850 256MB, which is much cheaper, and be fine.
3. 4GB of memory may be overkill for your uses. A good 2GB set can be had for as little as $35, so I'd look into one of those. Here's one that I have and really like.
4. You don't have a PSU listed. You are going to want to get a nice one from a reputable brand, like this one from Antec.

Edited by stettybet0, 23 December 2007 - 11:38 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
5. Drop the raptor drive and get a standard 3.5gb/s SATA drive. The Seagate 7200.11 are the top performers but the difference is unnoticable.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

5. Drop the raptor drive and get a standard 3.5gb/s SATA drive. The Seagate 7200.11 are the top performers but the difference is unnoticable.

I would disagree; my Raptor X loads up Vista noticeably faster than my 7200rpm 3.5GB/S WD hard drive. The OP stated that boot times were one of the most important things to him/her, so I think that the Raptor would be worth it.

dmar713

dmar713

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Looks like a good build, but I have a few things.

1. If you are not going to be using SLI, that mobo is overkill. Look to get a P35 mobo. This is a nice one..

Thanks for the information.

A couple of questions.

I noticed there is a Revision 1 and a Revision 2 of this motherboad. What is the difference and would it make a difference to me.

Also what would you suggest for cooling this system.

Thanks a bunch :)

dew

Edited by dmar713, 24 December 2007 - 01:56 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I would go with the revision 2, as it is a later version and probably has some updates compared to revision 1. Sorry if I linked you to an older version, I was just quickly looking for a P35 mobo with good reviews. :)

For cooling, you would be fine with just the stock cooling as you said you won't be overclocking. It would be pointless and an unnecessary risk and expense to water cool parts running at stock speeds.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sorry for the confusion but when I was saying the difference was unnoticcable I was talking about the Seagate 7200.11s in comparision to other SATA2 HDDs. The Raptors do offer a slight performance increase but the cost increase is too high to make it a good buy IMO. I also try to completly stay away from big IDE cables as they are no longer needed.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Actually, the main upgrade to the 7200.11 series was fixing the noise issues, I find them very loud when seeking. The 7200.11 lose to the 7200.10 drives in some aspects.

If you want to get a fast drive, look towards the terrabyte drives, the raptors don't pose a significant difference over modern hard drives, the hard drives with larger capacities edge them out in quite a few benchmarks. The only thing the raptors are quite a bit superior is access time due to the rotational speed. Also, remember, if you use the hibernate/sleep function in vista, your OS loads in about 1 sec. There is no better feature on Vista.

The fact that you are getting a blu-ray drive means that you should only be looking at the HD3870 due to it's UVD, basically this technology takes the load of the processor.

Can you tell me the model number or give me a link to your monitor. You need a monitor will 1920x1200 resolution which cannot be placed on a monitor smaller then 23", though 24" monitors are what you typically find.

Unless your budget is very large and you have money to burn, don't water cool a PC, it a wonderful experience, but not worth just for cooling a PC IMO.

The revision of the motherboards are hit and miss, some people still have old inventory, you don't get to choose which revision they have nor will most stores tell you. The major difference on the majority of the boards is the changing of the back panel, there are more USB/firewire ports and less to none of the older technology that few use now.

James