Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Annoying Problems

• Please log in to reply

neR

neR

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey everyone, I'll get right to it.

I keep a Notepad file on my desktop for copy/pasting random stuff and the like.

Installed Mame Plus .119 about a week ago, and noticed that after I run it the Notepad icon vanishes (on every notepad file on my cpu, not just the one on the desktop). The files are still there and work so this isn't a huge deal, but it's bugging me. After a restart, everything returns to normal.

That's problem number one. As for the second:

After trying to wrap my mind around the icon thing and running a few virus scans and all that, I bit it and installed Norton 360 just to be safe. After disabling their ghastly toolbar I let it run a few days and everything is looking smooth with one hiccup--the Norton keeps disabling Guardwall (integrated into IE). I can manually open the prog and use it, but the whole point of the thing is that you when you close IE, it automatically deletes your forms etc. Once again, not the biggest deal in the world, but I'd gotten used to the convenience. Could just use CC and accomplish the same thing.

So, in summation:

- What's up w/the Notepad Icons--Just one of those things?

and

- How can I stop Norton from disabling Guardwall?

Any ideas?

Real glad I installed Norton. Tells me everything was fine then starts giving me headaches. Money well spent :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Guardwall and Norton both have pop-up blocker technology that conflict with each other. Norton is the bigger program so takes charge.
Either turn off pop-up blocker in Norton, or remove Guardwall. You're not going to be able to have the two working in harmony.

No idea what Mame Plus is about as the site's disappeared.