Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One in Five PCs Infected With Rootkits

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Malware researchers at Prevx have highlighted what they are calling a 'massive growth' in the number of PCs harboring rootkit infections.

More than 725,000 PCs were scanned using the Prevx CSI malware scanner over a two-month period. Of the around 291,000 users who scanned their PCs during October 2007, some form of spyware or malware was found on one in six.

Significantly, although rootkits were detected on 15.6% of PCs during October 2007, that figure had risen to 22% by early December.

More...

Did a scan using Prevx's quick scanner. I would think it would have found other stuff, but it said I am totally clean. Of course, most of my other anti-virus and malware apps say the same thing. :)

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 24 December 2007 - 01:05 AM.

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Used AVG Anti-Rootkit, and my computer is clean! Phew! Guess I'm one of the remaining four people in the group that takes good care of my system. *grins*

Edited by Ltangelic, 09 January 2008 - 07:09 AM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I think they're a little paranoid, and they don't say how exactly they define a rootkit.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
It's highly likely for that statistics to be true, seeing how many people are uneducated about the network security and its importance. A rootkit is a general description of a set of programs which work to subvert control of an operating system from its legitimate operators, it helps malware developers to gain control of a system for much longer, even after normal infections like trojan and such are removed.