Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Run Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

entro

entro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I was playing Team Fortress 2 and then the game froze. I attempted to get into task manager and end the task but my computer was at a standstill. So, I decided to reset the computer by holding down the power button and turning my computer back on. However, when my computer booted up the screen before windows loads, which displays the Dell BIOS loading up looks a little funky and some of the words on the screen are misspelled. It gets to the loading screen for Windows XP and after it finishes the loading screen before it loads your desktop my monitor loses a signal and my screen is black. I have tried restarting multiple times and so far my computer has only successfully loaded Windows XP once and it crashed again during Team Fortress 2 and is now having the same problem. I can get into safe mode fine and have tried using system restores but have failed to have any successful results. Is there any idea why the screens before Windows XP loads has the words misspelled all over the place and why Windows XP won't run normally?

Any help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
It could be some errors with your hard drive. I'd try to do this:
1. Close all running programs and then double-click My Computer.
2. Right-click on the drive you want to run scandisk on (by default C:)
3. Click the Properties and then the Tools tab and click "Check Now" next to "Error Checking"
4. Check the "Automatically fix file system errors" box - and
5. Then Check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box
6. Reboot and Chkdsk will run during the boot process before Windows starts, let it run and fix any sectors.
Hope it works :)

Edited by annabackwards, 12 January 2008 - 11:36 PM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well, turning off the power while Windows was still running won't have helped, entro. Go back into safe mode and set the disk error-checker to run then r-start. The error-checker will run before Windows loads and hopefully fix what's wrong.
To get the error-checker to run at the next re-boot, do this:
1. Open 'My Computer', right click drive C: and choose 'Properties'.
2. Click the 'Tools' tab, then click the 'Check now' button.
3. Tick both boxes, then click 'Start'.
4. Restart PC