Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

32bit vs. 64bit

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was wondering if I had a fast, 64 bit processor, would games run much faster if I used Windows Vista 64 instead of Windows Vista 32 bit. Also, will running Vista 64 bit require more ram to run smooth than Vista 32 bit? Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not necessarily on all counts.
A lot depends on what you are doing and what you're doing it with.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was planning on building this machine for gaming and getting an sli mother board and an 8800gt. I was also wondering about this deal called OEM where you can get the OS for much cheaper. I was wondering if there are any catches to that. Thanks.

pyrocajun2707

pyrocajun2707

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
The biggest difference between 32 and 64 bit software is the amount of RAM it can access. If you're planning on installing 4Gb of memory or more in your system, then you NEED 64-bit in order for your computer to be able to access all of it. It may also render high-resolution images and perform things like ray tracing better and more accurately as well because the increased register size can handle bigger and higher-precision integers.

But basically, if you have less than 4Gb RAM, 64 bit just isn't worth it, as you will have even more of an issue with compatibility.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
If I decide to get 4GB of memmory and a 32 bit vista edition, will it all be accessed? Also, do you think 4 GB is enough to run games for the next couple of years?

pyrocajun2707

pyrocajun2707

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Good question.

No, 32 bit Vista can only access 3 Gb RAM. Even if you have 4, 8, 16 gigs, Windows will only show 3Gb installed.

As for now, 2 or 3 GB RAM is enough to run most games, but Vista as well as new games like Crysis are such resource hogs that the requirements will probably soon exceed the 3Gb mark.

If I decide to get 4GB of memmory and a 32 bit vista edition, will it all be accessed? Also, do you think 4 GB is enough to run games for the next couple of years?

Grim Keeper

Grim Keeper

• Pip
  • 9 posts
with a 32-bit processor i thought it was possible to use 4gig of ram .... i was under the impression that a 32bit processor = 2^32 storage locations = 4gig? is this false?

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I was just reading on this today. Really good read and it will help your understand why.

http://www.microsoft...PAE/pae_os.mspx