Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 does nothing on one account!

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hi, I recently had a little infection that was cleared up thanks to the staff on these forums but on one administrator account (XP) I had to get rid of the password in order to access the account to do a HijackThis scan. Once I was finished with that and found the log was clean, I put a password back on and now when I click on the BF2 icon on that account, the mouse pointer turns into an hour glass for like a second and then goes away. I checked to see if it was even starting up in task manager when I click the icon and all that happens is a "BF2.exe" pops up for a second then goes away. Battlefield 2 works perfectly fine on my account and I can even use the "run as user" option on the account that's having problems and it starts up. I'm thinking it's some stupid bug with XP but I have no idea on how to get it working again. I tried system restore, compatible with, changing the start up resolution. I'm fresh out of ideas, any hep is appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Hi, I recently had a little infection that was cleared up thanks to the staff on these forums but on one administrator account (XP) I had to get rid of the password in order to access the account to do a HijackThis scan. Once I was finished with that and found the log was clean, I put a password back on and now when I click on the BF2 icon on that account, the mouse pointer turns into an hour glass for like a second and then goes away. I checked to see if it was even starting up in task manager when I click the icon and all that happens is a "BF2.exe" pops up for a second then goes away. Battlefield 2 works perfectly fine on my account and I can even use the "run as user" option on the account that's having problems and it starts up. I'm thinking it's some stupid bug with XP but I have no idea on how to get it working again. I tried system restore, compatible with, changing the start up resolution. I'm fresh out of ideas, any hep is appreciated, thanks!

Just a quick question, why two accounts? :)

Have you reinstalled BF2? There is most likely some file stuck int he BF2 folder, completely remove everything and do a full uninstall and start afresh. I had a similar problem with Need For Speed Most Wanted, system restore wouldn't work either, so I uninstalled it and manually cleared the EA folder (It leaves some files there), doing that sorted the problem.

Edited by tiroshii, 24 December 2007 - 04:25 PM.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I'll be sure to try that (but was hoping I wouldn't have to lol). I have two administrative accounts because I have my personal account (admin) and my father has his personal account (admin). This way I can play/ use what ever game or program I want to and also install with out having to switch to another account.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

I'll be sure to try that (but was hoping I wouldn't have to lol). I have two administrative accounts because I have my personal account (admin) and my father has his personal account (admin). This way I can play/ use what ever game or program I want to and also install with out having to switch to another account.

Good luck with it.

I've never seen the point in two accounts, I used to share with my Brother until I bought my own PC. With two accounts all you gain is what? Personal display settings... Oh joy.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

I've never seen the point in two accounts, I used to share with my Brother until I bought my own PC. With two accounts all you gain is what? Personal display settings... Oh joy.

It's more than personal display, it's much more organized. Especially when it comes to media stuff. I would hate to have to sift through all of my music libraries just to find the music I put on my computer. Plus, not all of the people that go on this computer are "computer savvy" (they have limited accounts :))

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

It's more than personal display, it's much more organized. Especially when it comes to media stuff. I would hate to have to sift through all of my music libraries just to find the music I put on my computer. Plus, not all of the people that go on this computer are "computer savvy" (they have limited accounts :))

Lol... If you say so.

Just have two folders "Bobs Music" and "Jims Music" or whatever. But hey, keep it how you like it, I'm not gonna push you into changing it :) I was just intrigued :)

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
:) I know, hopefully I'll have some time to reinstall BF2 today (patching it takes a loooooong time).

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I FINALLY! got it to work. A normal uninstall/ reinstall wasn't doing the trick and even after getting rid of all of the registry entries it still didn't work. When I start up BF2 on my account, I noticed the program ~e5.0001 (I think it's the cd protection software) starts up as well as the BF2.exe. So I located the e5 file in my temp folder and copied it over to the temp file on the account that was having trouble running the game. There was already an e5 file in the folder but it was 0kb so I replaced it with the one in my temp folder and it worked!

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

I FINALLY! got it to work. A normal uninstall/ reinstall wasn't doing the trick and even after getting rid of all of the registry entries it still didn't work. When I start up BF2 on my account, I noticed the program ~e5.0001 (I think it's the cd protection software) starts up as well as the BF2.exe. So I located the e5 file in my temp folder and copied it over to the temp file on the account that was having trouble running the game. There was already an e5 file in the folder but it was 0kb so I replaced it with the one in my temp folder and it worked!

Good good, glad you got it working! :)