Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed New: mobo, CPU, and RAM; Now haveing problems booting

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok well I just replaced my CPU, mobo, and RAM: and now I can not boot into windows. It says under a windows (black) screen and says that there is an error preventing widows from booting. It asks if I want to run in safe mode, run windows normally, or to restart and run windows off of the DVD to try and fix the problem. This is what happens with each of the situations:

*Safe mode - all of the drivers flash across the screen and is pauses at "crcdisk.sys". Then a blue screen flashes with some text but it is too fast to read and restarts.

*Windows normal - The windows load bar fades on screen and reboots immediately.

*Boot of of windows DVD and run fixing application - Runs and finds something at the end and says that is a problem that can not be fixed automatically. Asks if I want to send the info to Microsoft and I say yes. Finishes and I click restart.

Since the file is crcDISK.sys I tried a different SATA cable to the HDD and plugged it into a different port in the board.

The newly installed parts:
*GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059
*Core 2 Duo E6750 - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115029
*Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220144

PS: the thread where I decided on all of the parts: http://www.geekstogo...08#entry1090508

PSS: I know that Troy had a build recently that was very similar to this one (same mobo, same CPU, same PSU, but I think the RAM was a different company) so I was wondering if you had any problems like this Troy.

It really sucks that I am doing this on X-mas eve. :)

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well I fixed it but I hat to wipe out my hard drive. I did not want to have to resort to that but it was around the time I should have done it. Oh well, but I did get it running.

Case closed.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A Windows Repair was all that was needed. You didn't really need to wipe the machine. You can't just swap the main board under XP/Vista and expect it to work.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

A Windows Repair was all that was needed. You didn't really need to wipe the machine.

Yeah that is what I thought. When I did the Widows repair it said it could not fix the problem. It was not that big of a deal. I backed up most of my important documents onto my flash drive.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 December 2007 - 02:15 PM.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
actually i too had this same problem happen to me last night. I upgraded my ram from 2 GB to 4 GB. the first set were patriot 1 GB x2 sticks and i got the same pack for christmas. I installed the ram on my mobo and the very same thing happened to me, i would get to a black screen and i could move my mouse pointer all over and it would not boot the OS. I ran safe mode and the sys chkdsk or something like that would be the first thing to pause.

eventually i did a OS install (which i didnt mind too much) and the problem is fixed. I now refuse to install those last 2 gigs in fear of the same problem, i think i'll wait to add ram till the next time i need to upgrade to a better mobo.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok cool so the RAM was the problem. I guess the windows fixer does not support that particular model of patriot RAM. BTW thanks for posting. It is nice to know what the problem was.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Glad it's working Jack! :) Is it good or is it good? :)

How do you find performance now?

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
well im sure that in my case that was the EXACT cause, but i now find myself weary of installing any more ram on my machine lol. I play crysis fine on very high settings w/ only 2 gigs. my new vid card helped alot as well, i first had the 8800 GTS 320, now i have the 8800 GT 512mb. a curious question however... what would happen if i paired these two on SLi??? dont need to, just curious.

Edit: Jack i checked on that RAM you were installing, I was actually installing the exact same model of Patriot ram. my first set runs like a champ, the 2nd is what the issue was.

Edited by lpchris85, 27 December 2007 - 11:00 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Only cards of the same model can be run in SLI. They can be made by different companies, and even have different clocks, but they must be the same model. For example, you could run an EVGA 8800GT and a BFG 8800GT OC in SLI (though they would both operate at the clocks of the slower card), but you couldn't run an EVGA 8800GT and an EVGA 8800GTX in SLI.

Also, I think you just got some faulty RAM because I have the same RAM as you two, and when I installed an additional pair, it worked just fine.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i agree w/ you stettybet, i ran memtest because i am still having issues and the original set i have came up with errors as well, im getting an RMA as we speak.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

How do you find performance now?

Very nice. I think I will be solid once I overclock.