Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need video card advice for first project

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Greetings!

I love your website and last year it was a HUGE help for some problems I was having.

Anyway..... I am embarking on my first computer build, looking for an overall system cost of around $1,000-$1,500. This will NOT include speakers, mouse, keyboard, or screen which I already have from my current system.

I was looking for a video card in the $150-$160 range. I like gaming but don't have much time for it. I mainly play Madden but am interested in some of the newer games coming out as well. I was wondering what you all thought of the Asus 8600GTS

All I want from this card is gaming. I do not need HD extras, etc.
I am also looking to put some priority on quiet cards

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
Happy Holidays!!

Edited by Crunchy409, 24 December 2007 - 09:28 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
HD3850 is the best budget card around at the moment.
James

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks. I actually had not run into that card yet but it looks great for the money.

Does the volume of the stock cooling system vary between each company's offering of the card?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you are just getting the card with the reference cooler, no it does not vary.
This is the best retail card that comes with a aftermarket cooler.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161215
Otherwise I really don't know in terms of performance which cooler is better then the other as the newer coolers are quite new to the market.
Any card that has a dual slot cooler is not the reference cooler and should perform significantly better, but the price begins to get so high you might as well start looking at the HD3870 with the reference cooler.
James

Edit: I don't think my initial responce really awnsered your question. I think you are asking about the size of the cooler, yes it does vary between cards. Do you only want a single slot cooler?

Edited by james_8970, 26 December 2007 - 08:09 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yup, a HD3850 should hit the spot nicely. I could max out Madden 08 @ 1920x1080 on my GeForce 6600, so an HD3850 should have no problem with it. :)

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for all your help.

How loud is the stock cooler? Does anyone have any experience? I had read somewhere that it was quite noisy.

Is the stock cooler glued down, or would it be easy enough to pick out my own cooler upgrade?

As far as single/double slot goes. To be honest I haven't begun to look at mother boards yet so can't tell you how much space I'll have

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There would be alot of coflicting information, one may consider something noisy while another may not.

As long as you buy a ATX motherboard a double slot cooler would be your best bet. If you want to go really quite, there are quite a few aftermarket alternatives that are fanless and that you may be interested in purchasing. Keep in mind that if you do go fanless, I strongly discourage you overclocking. Keep in mind that changing your cooler will void your warranty.

No the stock cooler isn't glued down, it's as simple as removing a few screws, cleaning off thermal paste, applying new thermal paste and then screwing down the new cooler.

James