Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRED MODED/ROUTER CONNECTING TO WIRELESS ROUTER

• Please log in to reply

michaelh613

michaelh613

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If I have a wired combination netopia dsl modem/router and want to add wireless connectivity with a low end lynksy wireless router.

If it were just a modem adding a wireless router is easy. But because the dsl modem doubles as a router I am having trouble. Any ideas how to handle this

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
You'll want to use the "uplink" or "wan" port on the new router to connect to a port on the modem/router. On the new router make sure that the IP address for the "wan" or "default gateway" is set to the IP address for the modem/router.

michaelh613

michaelh613

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks found an easier solution to my problem. Just had to change the address of my Lynksy to 198.168.2.1 from 1.1 so I didn't conflict with the oriignal router