Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uidentified Memory User

• Please log in to reply

JBH5514

JBH5514

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Explorer is showing 60GB's of memory use that neither I nor my company's IT guy can account for. In other words we can not identify what is using up the memory.

How do I find what is sucking up my memory?

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Do you mean that something is using up all of your RAM and then taking up to 60GB's of disc space as it creates virtual memory?

What kind of a system are you referring to?

JBH5514

JBH5514

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No on the RAM. Just that Explorer shows I am using a total of 90 GB's and we can only account for around 30 GB.

I am running XP on a Lenovo l(former IBM) laptop R61.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I am a bit confused yet.

I assume your saying that the task manager process panel is showing explorer using up all this memory?

(maybe you could snap a shot of your process list and post it)

JBH5514

JBH5514

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It has nothing to do with RAM or the process pannel. When I right click on "My Computer" and choose "Explorer" it shows that my "C-drice" (my hard drive) has 87.5 GB's of space being used and only 21.3 GB's of free space.

When I view what I have using up the hard drive I can only account for around 30 GB's of used space. It is as if someone highjacked my laptop and secertly saved data (60 GB's worth) somewhere on my hard drive and I can't find it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

You are referring to "disk space" NOT "memory. Memory is ram.

Did you check your hidden files? How about System Restore Space and the Recycle Bin?

Both reserve about 15% of harddrive space for their use so, depending on the size of your hdd, that could be where it is going.

Murray

JBH5514

JBH5514

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry about using the wrong terminology.

I checked both the hidden files and recylcle bin, that is not what is using up 60 GB's (more then half my disk space) of disk space.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What about System Restore?

To be on the safe side,
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Murray