Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Celticmyst

Celticmyst

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a flashing sign at the bottom of the screen that toggles between "local area connection is now connected" and "local area connection.. connection is unavailable". Its like a constant loop. flashing from one to the other. However i am connected to the internet. how do i get this off here? Please help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wireless? cat5 cable?
both?

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
That might mean you have a bad connection or something is causing it to not have a good connection.

For example-I have a wireless-B Linksys router at my home office, and I plugged it in with a power adapter the router did not come with. The adapter did not supply enough current to the router, so it did the same symptom you are having to me.

Your situation could be somthing else.

You can fix this, but I would highly recommend you track down the problem instead of doing this.

Assuming you have WINXP:

Right click "My Network Places" and select "Properties" from the menu.
(You can also get this be doing the same right click on the My Network Places in the start menu)

Right click on the appropriate connection that is causing the messages and select properties.

On the dialog page that pops up, look towards the bottom.

Uncheck "Show icon in notification area when connected".

This will remove the icon in your notification area and you will no longer see the status of being connected or not.

This wont fix your problem, but it will not annoy you with the messages anymore.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't forget a possible rf interference problem causing this.

Ron