Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my cpu / OS

• Please log in to reply

lreyes66

lreyes66

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well..thanks to x-mas ive gained more $$$ from relatives =) and well im thinking about getting a differnt processor. I currently have a Athlon 64 x2 4000+ 2.1ghz cpu and a Asus m2a-mvp motherboard. Ive owned my build for only less then a month :) and im already wanting to upgrade my cpu. I think the best processor i can get for my mobo would be a 64 x2 processor and the one i have in mind is http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103191 .

Also i currently have xp 32bit oem. If i wanted to upgrade to 64bit vista will i be able to do it with the upgrade version of 64bit vista? im not really getting oem operating systems. I hear that u can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit and if its oem u can install another os unless u get a new mobo...again im not sure if its accurate. Help please >_<

Advertisements

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
That proc should work fine as long as you get an aftermarket cooler for it, although if you're not planning on overclocking i would get a proc thats not black edition since those dont come with heatsink/fans.

Also theres really no point in getting a 64bit system unless you want over 4gb of ram(as 32bit only goes to 4gb and 64bit goes to 8gb) and less driver support, and theres no point in getting vista either since its not that good at the moment, stick with your 32bit xp(or if you want 8gb of ram 64bit xp)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
CPU looks good, but like zoneykid mentioned, you're going to need to get a aftermarket cooler as the black editions do not come with one.

Also i currently have xp 32bit oem. If i wanted to upgrade to 64bit vista will i be able to do it with the upgrade version of 64bit vista? im not really getting oem operating systems. I hear that u can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit and if its oem u can install another os unless u get a new mobo...again im not sure if its accurate. Help please >_<

If you have a OEM copy of windows, it's recommended that you reinstall it when you upgrade your CPU. When you do this, you may need to contact microsoft to reactive your operating system, though you shouldn't have any problems doing so.
James