Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

share internet connection

• Please log in to reply

arpitt

arpitt

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
help me please about this matter .....

in peer to peer network is there no way to share internet connection ( or we can say modem) between 2 computers having windows 98 (all versions) installed in them but without any third party softaware.

tell this question's answer also in refrence of xp (all versions)

please note: i am not talking about wireless networks. i am using network with wire's connection

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To share the same internet connection without going wireless, you need to buy a router with built in modem which has 2 or more ethernet ports to which each PC is connected. If you are on a cable internet (not a telephone line), a combined router/modem is hard to find, so you'll need to buy just a router with 2 or more ethernet-to-PC ports and connect that to the existing cable modem. You the connect both PCs to the router.

Each PC will then be able to use the internet even if the other PC is switched off. Since most routers these days have wireless capability as standard you ought to consider going wireless. It's much more convenient, especially if a member of the family has a laptop.