Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequeny out of range error

• Please log in to reply

choogler

choogler

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Something strange has been happening to my computer latly. My monitor has been going black and displaying a message saying that the Frequency is out of range. It only happens in a game I play. I can leave to computer on all day and it doesn't happen but 5 minutes into playing this game it does it.

I have tried to search for an anwser on-line and it is saying update drivers. That didn't work tho. Would using a different monitor help or getting a new grafics card. I say this because I hear it is a conflict somewhere with no sure fire fix.

Choogler

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It is saying that the freq. that the video card is putting out is not acceptable to the monitor, so a new video card would not help.

Is there a setting for the game which you can select the video modes? If so, check the acceptable modes for video monitor and select that. You might also be able to tell the video card the acceptable modes for the monitor, which might also prevent the problem. You could see if there is any drivers for the monitor.

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
What do you mean by video modes? I can change resolution, dont see video modes on game controls or Catalyst control center.

Edited by choogler, 25 December 2007 - 05:47 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Try setting it at 800x600 and see if you still get the issue. Check your BIOS for video options that could be incorrect. I have seen incorrect BIOS setting cause this issue. Speciffically PCI graphics were set instead of PEG (PCI Express).

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well it appears that my computer lasts a little long in the game untill it happens but it is still happening. I am not really understand video modes. Is that resolution?

And my Bios a set correctly, I belive. Only option I get for video is PCI or AGP/onboard.

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well I still am having this problem. And it only happens while I am playing the game. Also I have tried everything to no avail. Changing resolution in game, on the computer out of game, Refresh rate. Tried them all but nothing. I keep seeing the it is my video card. So going back to my first question, would getting a new video card fix this cause refresh rate and resolution are not do it. It is not the monitor cause it does it to other monitors to. Maybe the MOBO. I am lost and think I should replace both +CPU cause I have been mean to.

Please help.

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Frequency out of range, as has been said already, means the video card is pushing data at a rate that is too fast for the monitor to handle. Usually it means the refresh rate, but it can also be the resolution settings.

First, I want you to right-click on an empty area of your desktop (assuming Win XP) and go to Properties.

Then I want you to go to the Settings tab (verify you are using the correct driver for your graphics card) and hit the Advanced button. Now each setup is different from here because many video card adapters add a slew of additional tabs, but there should be a tab labeled Monitor. Make sure your Monitor make and model is entered correctly and that the refresh rate displayed falls within the parameters of the monitors capability.

If, after this, you still have this problem, then there is a remote possibility that the video card has a problem with maintaining the correct refresh frequency. If that is the case, then this is likely a heat-related issue (since it only seems to happen when playing a graphics-intensive game), so you may be able to remedy it by repairing or replacing the integrated heatsink/fan on the card itself.

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
excelent, Ill try to replace the heatsink because all the other stuff checks out. Thanks

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i think you got a Lg monitor?
you could try one thing............(not sure but)

right click on desktop and select properties then click the setting tab
click advance
then click the monitor tab and set the screen refresh rate to 60Hz.
click apply
this should solve your problem

i know it has been answerd but even i got this problem and solved the way i am telling you.

Edited by ankitsuhail, 11 January 2008 - 08:17 AM.

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah I've tried that, matching the refresh rate and resolution with the game. Turn them both up and down, but no matter what the screen goes blank. But something else has been happening that is leading me to believe that my video card is failing. The screen is just going blank and the green light turns yellow but no frequency out of range message now.

I've also tried running the game in windowed mode which has extended the length of time before it happens.

Think I may be doing an overhall on the computer and replacing the mobo, video card, but keep the processor. Any advice on that, or maybe a good Mobo that takes DDR PC 2700 ram?

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey this one is easy

it bugged me for quite a log time

here is the solution

• reebot your pc
  • press shift+f8 before the launch of the windows
  • you have to do the above step really quick and repeditly until you see a screen with options on it
  • now select vga mode or somthing like that and press enter
  • the window will start normal
  • the resoloutions will be lowerd now so all you have to do is go to proporties and select the resoloution
  • if after selecting the resolution the error continues
  • click advance and then lower the refresh rate to 60Hz or somthing and then change the resolution

this should fix all the problems
if still not reply back i will be happy to help you