Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help choosing the best mp3/mp4 player

• Please log in to reply

astro2

astro2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i agree, move it, why is it even here :)

anyways, how come no thoughts on my psp comment? i suppose homebrew world is big but there are people still noobs in this field i suppose

i found out another thing a psp can do, it has GPS navigating add-on......the only thing it doesn't have now is the ability to use as a mobile/cellular phone. God i rather play tekken 5 dr then have a normal mp3 player....unless its for car use

p.s i'm not sure if i have zune in my country, i HAVE heard of iRIVER though. I guess i have alot to learn about music players, how much is zune??

pps to the person using his mp3 player as a external drive, don't leave it on for too long or you shorten its life span, i had a cheap mp4 player i got off ebay and i left it on too much as a external hdd option and it acted up and couldn't even recharge...images burnt itself to the background, good as dead really.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

p.s i'm not sure if i have zune in my country

Unless you live in America, you don't have them in your country. The Zune has not been distributed outside of the States yet, though I believe microsoft has intentions on doing so this year.
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 February 2008 - 11:06 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

anyways, how come no thoughts on my psp comment? i suppose homebrew world is big but there are people still noobs in this field i suppose

You asked for it. The PSP is nice, but its a toy, and its huge. I have a nephew who has one (he is 8). My Zune has the same picture quality, longer battery life, larger screen size, better sound quality, and more capacity.

i found out another thing a psp can do, it has GPS navigating add-on......the only thing it doesn't have now is the ability to use as a mobile/cellular phone. God i rather play tekken 5 dr then have a normal mp3 player....unless its for car use

I do not believe in all-in-one devices. They are nice to an extent. I have a phone that also serves as a pocket PC. Its got a touch screen and full keyboard. It can play MP3s and videos, but I would never use that feature. Why? Simply because I am not going to waste battery listening to music on a device that is supposed to be there when I need it for an emergency.

astro2

astro2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Removed

...anyways i'm off you can reply but i won't be back to read it, too busy and lazy.

Edited by ScHwErV, 05 February 2008 - 09:12 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I have a phone/pocket PC, and I have yet to see one over $2000. Think of the Motorola Q, Blackberry, Treo, IPhone, and any of the other devices that allow email/phone/web browsing/mp3, etc. I think you're confused on that one.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

...anyways i'm off you can reply but i won't be back to read it, too busy and lazy.

Since you deem yourself too busy to participate in the conversation and since your comments do not help the OP in any way, I have removed them.

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I gave my wife a Sandisk mp3 player for Xmas and she is very pleased with it. I paid a fraction of what the iPod cost, and the Sandisk also has FM Radio and Message Record features built-in. It is not as sophisticated as the players with the Video features. It is a tiny little thing. But if the bottom line is mp3 player music features that you want, the Sandisk has surprising sound reproduction - and it was very inexpensive. Best of luck finding something you like. don't forget to check out the daily bargains posted at techbargains.com, dealnews.com, pricegrabber is good too. Amazon has special sales on Fridays, so does J&R Music world. And President's Day sales are coming up soon too.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
pricegrabber and shopbot have got to be the best site comparisons around. I love them for price matching items :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 February 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I personally have a PSP. And i have it connected to my Speaker system. I think its WAY to big to carry around. Not to mention its pretty heavy. you cant carry it by the earphones.

It also looks awkward in your pocket O.o not exactly the most comfortable.

I don't understand why people would get a Video ipod or whatever. Seeing anything on a small screen for an extended period of time hurts my eyes...

My opinion of a Personal MP3 is something that is small, light easy to carry around and doesnt get in the way of things.

I would get one of those small zunes. Too many Ipods at my school. If i lost it at school, i'll never find it. But a Zune at least stands a chance because it's not as wide spread/popular yet.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I find the new Slacker Portable to be one of the best mp3 devices out there. It looks similar to the Zune, but has a touch screen "pad" on the side, as well as numerous other positive features. The most important aspect of it though is that it is supposedly a portable radio, but doesn't really have radio stations. They are stations in which play without ads interruptions, etc. with the artists you want - if you create a free custom station-, virtually every song from every major genre, and all of it is free. The only thing that costs money is the actual player. The Slacker Portable also - when in range of any wireless network - updates your music by taking away songs you didn't like and keeping songs you did while incorporating more. More information can be found here.

Advertisements

astro2

astro2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:) are there any players with a simple format available :)

even gaming consoles as i've stated are better then alot of basic mp3 players that are floating around eg. PSP, nintendo DS

i recently got a really cheap ipod video 80gb 2nd off ebay, and i've never liked ipods even though i've never used one, and now that i've got one my thoughts were right, it sucks !! Although i didn't expect too much from it anyways, i mainly got it because a) they dont' make them no more so they're cheap now b) its a even more portable way to transfer data then external HDD's c) its a small size which is good for cars in combination with a FM transmitter.

i wonder why people spend $hundreds of dollars more for a ipod touch that has less HD i.e max is 16gb i think just because you can touch it, bigger screen (only upside, but thats because buttons are gone) and wifi......which is useless because you need to be at a hotspot and if its not free it breaks the point of internet connection unless your are home...if your at home why waste time on wifi. :)

ANYWAYS....

MY POINT the reason why i hate it is you can't create manual folders like psp otherwise ipod can't read it, it has to be directly transfered from iTunes, and if ITunes library has changed ipod and iTunes are no longer nsync and files already on ipod are no longer viewable.

also whats the deal with trying to put seperate music folders in iPod, it won't work and if it does they shoulod've configured it to be user friendly, i mean i put one album folder already i find it dumb because its not in a seperate folder, and when i try to upload a different album the first albums gone. What the...??

people say zune is better, some say they're crap........are they similar in format, features and options????? :)

astro2

astro2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

I personally have a PSP. And i have it connected to my Speaker system. I think its WAY to big to carry around. Not to mention its pretty heavy. you cant carry it by the earphones.

It also looks awkward in your pocket O.o not exactly the most comfortable.

I don't understand why people would get a Video ipod or whatever. Seeing anything on a small screen for an extended period of time hurts my eyes...

My opinion of a Personal MP3 is something that is small, light easy to carry around and doesnt get in the way of things.

I would get one of those small zunes. Too many Ipods at my school. If i lost it at school, i'll never find it. But a Zune at least stands a chance because it's not as wide spread/popular yet.

i agree you cant carry psp through headphones but its not a good idea anways, thats why MD players had hooks, anyways...they're not that bulky especially the slim version, just get a 'luxury capdase' they are beautifully crafted alloyed case for old and new psp'. PSP's aren't that awkard to carry around i mean you walk around and you slip it snuggly in your jeans...how easy is that.

I also agree that screens that are too small are pointless, some moron at work reckons "hey look i can put alot of seasons of 'southpark' on my ipod video" i'm like....."whocares you'll go blind staring at a small screen".....psp is ALREADY considered too small when they first came out and people looked at it for viewing mp4's. Meaning psp isn't THAT bulky...if anything its perfected, anything smaller its no longer good for media watching and anything too bigger breaks the portability description.

TOO MANY IPODs?? i agree with your statement too, but i knew little about zunes so i just got a cheap ipod video 80gb 2nd hand off ebay...they're really cheap due to them not making them no more....i don't want to babble on how much they suck. But i don't feel to bad for buying it, its good for car with fm transmitter and is a more portable way to hold data then external hdd's.

as for mp3's and mpg, PSP is still the best. If you got into its homebrew apps you'd say good buy to ipods and zunes forever, if you know little about it, then yes its nothing more then a toy to the eyes of noobs. :)

p.s as for too many people having ipods at your school and you want to stand out? lmao ironically thats what the marketing team had in mind for ipods, why do you think ads of ipods they have black sillouette of people and the ipod is white?? i studied marketing and my understanding is the msg is saying, "everyone is the same, if you use ipods you'll be unique".........ROFL, that cant be true now, since EVERYONE owns one. God apple products suck.