Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

got new GeForce 8600GTS graphics card and now comp is all messed up

• Please log in to reply

Masonx77

Masonx77

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I got my GeForce 8600 GTS Graphics card and I got it put in my computer and I also got the drivers installed. But now that its all installed I cannot run any games correctly... Any game with good graphics I play, displays severe graphics errors and my computer will even lock-up and automatically shutdown even though my auto-shutdown features are off. I was thinking that merely the Graphics card is defective, but if it were defective would that really be the cause of the automatic shutdown of my system? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Masonx77

Masonx77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Some detailed information about my computer will be handy for those who decide to help me, so here it goes.

Motherboard = ASUS m2npv-vm
Processor = AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5000+
RAM = 2X 1024 DDRS-SDRAM
Graphics Card = GeForce 8600GTS

Now. upon the video card being fully hooked up and installed to my computer, I tried a few games, the graphics in the games went completely wrong, textures altered, colors were messed up, then the computer locks up. once it locks up I am forced to restart the system because even the task manager won't come up. My computer locked up at one point then the onboard speaker for the motherboard made a constant and steady beep until i restarted the system again, the beep only happened once but it worried me none the less. Now that I've supplied additional information hopefully we can shed some light on this matter. Thank you

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Masonx77,

I was thinking that merely the Graphics card is defective, but if it were defective would that really be the cause of the automatic shutdown of my system?

Yes, a defective card could cause your computer to receive a STOP ERROR (Blue Screen of Death), which under default settings would make your computer automatically restart. Either way, after this point, the computer is no longer able to function without a restart. Try getting a replacement and see if that works.

Ax