Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cool Edit XP Compatability

• Please log in to reply

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
:tazz: Just got a new machine running xp sp2 (finally), and am working on installing my favorite stuff. Most are working OK, but my Copy of Cool Edit 2000 will not install. About halfway through the install, get a polite message that the installer has encountered an error and must close.
Since this program predates xp by a couple of years, and Syntrillium sold out to Adobe, getting any support for this version is not going to happen.
Anyone know if it is compatible and/or how to get it to install?
(By the way, I've slaved my old hard drive that was running win98 to this system. I can access all of the files, but since the registry isn't updated from the installer, can't run the program)

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Go to Start> Programs> Accsessories> Program Compatibility Wizard and check what that says

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
None of the compatability settings work. Install stops at the same point every time. Need to find another copy of the installer just to make sure mine didn't somehow get corrupted.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
cool2k will definitely work on XP. I encountered that error once, I believe we got around it by uninstalling cooledit, restarting, then re-installing. its been a while, though, so I cant be certain...

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks.....I got a new copy of the installer and it worked. Once the install finished, my key worked and the program runs fine.