Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after removing Vista in favour of XP

• Please log in to reply

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi all :)

I suppose I had better start at the beginning................

Santa bought me a new PC, hurah!!!!!
Anyway, its a factory built HP Pavillion desktop which came with Vista pre-installed. After hearing so many horror stories about Vista I bought a copy of XP home and wiped Vista off and installed XP. Since then I have no sound or network connection for my wireless router. Im guessing that the drivers for sound etc were pre-installed and Ive wiped them off. Any ideas on how to correct this folks?

If I can get the net working I can use windows to locate the sound drivers from the net so the main problem I guess is the lack of internet connection.

Cheers & a HYN to you all :)

Edited by Mighty Boosh, 26 December 2007 - 08:54 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to use a different computer to download the drivers for your particular make/model ...be sure to get the chipset drivers...put them on a usb flash drive or cd and then install them on your computer...start with the cipset drivers first...

Edited by happyrck, 26 December 2007 - 09:18 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You really should have made sure there were XP drivers available for your system first. Many manufacturers are now using hardware that only have Vista drivers available.

The HP website should be able to tell you and supply the necessary drivers - if they were even made.

BTW, hate to say this but you may have voided your waranty when you removed Vista as well.

Murray

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you also format the recovery partition? I sure hope not. If not, press F11 or F12 at boot time and restore Vista. Once it's working, then you can setup a Dual boot with XP and Vista. That will give you Vista to look for and download drivers for XP. Don't be surprised though if there are none. Many device vendors are not writing XP drivers for new hardware.

See the directions here for how to install XP when Vista is already installed: http://apcmag.com/54...ng_vista_and_xp

Also, I don't believe Vista is nearly as bad as people on the forums make it out to be. Different, Yes, Interfering, Yes, way overdone in the "Ask me if I really want to do this" category, Yes, but all these can be rectified or bypassed from what I've seen. It's going to be Vista everywhere sooner or later so dual boot of XP and Vista sounds to me like a great way to go. I wish I had Vista to play with :)

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks all for your replies:)

@Ztruker: Thanks for the info mate :)

I havent formatted the restore partition so I guess for now I will have to put Vista back on, for the time being at least. Until now I had virtually no experience of Vista but had heard so many stories about lag, instability and being non compatible with many apps I thought I would skip Vista all together.

Anyway, for now the dual boot option looks worth a try so once again, thanks people :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
SP1 should be out for Vista soon (if not already) which will help improve some things for that system.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RC Public Availability Program

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 December 2007 - 03:30 PM.

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just to let you know, the problem is now fixed after downloading the necessary drivers from various sites :)

Thanks again to all that tried to help! :)