Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

With Exploit Out, Microsoft Rushes IE 7 Fix

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Microsoft finally stepped up work on a patch to address vulnerabilities in the way Internet Explorer 7 interacts with other programs. But with no fix available at press time, using IE 7 on Windows XP machines is risky business.

The problem lies in how IE 7 interacts, via its URI (uniform resource identifier) handler, with products such as Adobe's Acrobat Reader or Mozilla's Firefox. At first, Microsoft stonewalled, pointing a finger at Firefox; then, after acknowledging that the problem was its own, the company dragged its feet on a fix because no exploit existed. That changed when a PDF Trojan horse attack started making the rounds in October. Adobe patched Reader (see below), but that covers only one end of the worm hole.

More...

Like patching a leaky old boat!

Ron

Related:
Microsoft Patch for 'URI Handler' Security Bug
Microsoft's December Patches Squash Security Bugs

Edited by Major Payne, 26 December 2007 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Oh dear, I do have IE7 installed on my computer. I guess I should be more careful about using it now.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I just received some critical updates from M$ today. Forgot to notice if they were for IE 7 or not, but you'll always have some problem with any browser. May I suggest using Firefox? It has it's security problems, too, but is not as targeted as IE is for now. If you install the IE Tab extension, you can use FF on sites that require IE. Or you can use Maxthon which uses the IE Engine. Maxthon may have the same vulnerabilities as IE since it uses the same engine though.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 09 January 2008 - 11:32 AM.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Yes, my default browser is Firefox, it's just that I use IE for some online scans that require them. Thanks for the information though. :)