Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8-pin power supply connection for Quad Core CPU

• Please log in to reply

Waterchan

Waterchan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my system to use a quad core CPU. So I bought this motherboard for it. But when I open my computer, I find that the motherboard uses an 8-pin power connector to provide power to the CPU. However, my power supply does not have an 8-pin connector.

Should I buy a new power supply that has an 8-pin connector? Or can I get away with buying a much cheaper converter that converts one of my existing power supply's connectors to 8-pin, without overloading anything?

If I should buy a new power supply, how can I tell that it has an 8-pin connector? If a converter cable will work, what kind of converter cable would I need? (e.g. 6-pin to 8-pin)

Thanks.

Edited by Waterchan, 26 December 2007 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
From http://www.playtool....pat/compat.html

CPUs used to be powered by the 20 pin main power cable. Almost all current motherboards power their CPU with a 12 volt CPU power cable. There are two kinds: the 4 pin 12V cable and the 8 pin 12V cable. The 4 pin cable is often called a P4 cable (although it's a very bad name) and the 8 pin cable is called an EPS12V cable. You must plug a cable into this motherboard connector or the CPU will receive no power. The compatibility rules between 4 and 8 pin connectors have a lot in common with the rules for 20 and 24 pin connectors. The best choice is to plug a 4 pin cable into a 4 pin connector, an 8 pin cable into an 8 pin connector, or a 4+4 cable into either kind of connector. You can get adapters which will convert various kinds of power supply cables into both 4 pin and 8 pin 12V cables. You can plug a 4 pin 12V cable into an 8 pin motherboard and it will sometimes work properly but other times it won't work at all or will burn/melt the connector. As with plugging a 24 pin cable into a 20 pin motherboard connector, you can plug an 8 pin cable into a 4 pin connector and leave 4 pins hanging over the end but you can also have the same problems with things preventing it from fitting. It will work fine if it fits. If you're buying a new power supply then the safest choice for the long haul is to get one with a 4+4 power cable because it's compatible with both 4 and 8 pin connectors.