Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Resolution Problem

• Please log in to reply

Zumrutel

Zumrutel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need to change my screen res to 1024x768.

Although my monitor is 14", the manual says that it <b>IS</b> capable of this. Yet when I try, I get a horrible flickering image with thin stripes and a weird high-pitched sound. Yet this monitor is supposed to be able to do this!

The monitor in question is a Fujitsu ICL 140v, and my graphic card is sadly a Trident Blade 3D MP4 (63). Updated the drivers for it tonight, but no luck.

Somebody help before I drop it out the window....

:tazz: ;) ;) :)

Advertisements

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Your manual should/might list what resolutions AND refresh rates it is capable of.

Check your manual and find out what refresh rate the 1024X768 resolution is supposed to be set to. If you have the resolution set to 1024X768 but your refresh rate is not correct, it can cause all sorts of bizzare effects on your monitor.

Once you find your refresh rate for the 1024X768 resolution, you can change it by:

WIN98:
1. Right click on the desktop and click "Properties".
2. Click the "Settings" tab.
3. Click the "Adapter" tab.
4. On the pull down menu labled "Refresh Rate", select your correct refresh rate.

WINXP:
1. Right click on the desktop and click "Properties".
2. Click the "Display" tab.
3. Click the "Adapter" tab.
4. Click the "List All Modes" button, and select the 1024X768 resolution at your correct refresh rate.

By setting the resolution and refresh values to the values your manual specifies, you should not get any weird symptoms.

Some monitors might act differently with certain Video Adapters.

If all else fails, you *Might* try to select random refresh rates, but I DO NOT KNOW if this can be bad for your monitor, so I play the "If you dont know dont do" theory.

Zumrutel

Zumrutel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've checked out the refresh rate setting as you recommended. Only "Default" and "Optimal" settings are available, and there seems to be no way to input a specific figure.

Switching between the two available settings has no visible effect either.... :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try finding a better driver that will give you those options. I haven't the best graphics card and originally used the driver from Win ME package and had more control than you have noted here. Went to drivershaq.com and found one that would work and a later date than the Windows one. This driver has more option to change than Carter has liver pills.

Just a suggestion to try.

Ron

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the whining sounds like your monitor is just not capable of that resolution, refresh rate. I would hesitate before trying to push it that far