Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CONVERTING TO XP FROM ME

• Please log in to reply

helpmeplease10

helpmeplease10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
THIS IS A COMPUTER THAT I HAVE HAD FOR A WHILE THAT WAS BUILD BY A FRIEND, ORIGINALLY IT HAD WINDOWS ME AS THE OPERATING SYSTEM, AND I HAVE RECENTLY TRIED TO UPGRADE TO XP ON THE COMPUTER. AFTER INSTALLING XP PRO 2002 SERVICE PACK 1 THE COMPUTER WOULD RESTART AND A WINDOW WOULD APPEAR THAT SAID VIRTUAL MEMORY NOT ENOUGH AND THE COMPUTER WOULD RESTART AND IT WOULD KEEP DOING THE SAME THING. I THEN ADDED A 256 RAM CARD AND RETRIED, IT STARTED UP AND THEN WOULD SAY WINDOWS SYSTEM 32 FILE CORRUPT OR MISSING, INSERT DISK AND HIT R FOR RECOVERY??? NOW UPON SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO DO SO IT WONT RESTART AT ALL THE COMPUTER BEEPS WHEN YOU TURN IT ON AND NOTHING APPEARS ON THE MONITER. HOW DO I START OVER ON THE XP INSTALL AND GET IT TO BOOT?????

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Argh, my ears! :)

Please don't type in all capital letters, it looks like you're shouting.

If the problems started when you added the extra memory its possible that that stick could be faulty. If that is the case take it out and perform a Windows repair as described here:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

helpmeplease10

helpmeplease10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I replaced the ram with a differnt one and got it to boot, got thru to the windows xp cd and hit enter. It comes up and says unknown disk??? It does not show the drive windows is installed in. I hit enter and then a blue screen comes up that says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Help Please!!!!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try the repair with only the original stick of memory in.