Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Delay when switching windows

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I have a very annoying problem. I use an old DOS program for a business related task (it's a very industry specific program, so you probably wouldn't find much info on it online). There are times when I have to copy something from a file from Notepad or even Word, and then paste it into this DOS program. I can accomplish this by checking the "QuickEdit Mode" in the DOS prompt options.

The problem ocurrs when I switch windows between the DOS window and the Notepad window. Going from Notepad to DOS, it's fine. But when going from DOS to Notepad (or whatever application I happen to be copying from), there is a delay of up to 3 or 4 seconds before the application is shown. The problem does NOT ocurr when I switch windows by using my mouse to click over to the program...only when I use ALT-TAB to switch windows.

Also, the issue doesn't seem to occurr on my work computer, only by home computer, so it has to be something specific to my home computer.

I have my XP fully updated as well as the latest video drivers. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

One last bit of info...if I have a DOS window open, but have yet to go into the DOS program in question, the problem does not occurr. But once I go into the program in the DOS window, the problem occurrs. As I said, the problem does NOT occurr on my work computer, so the issues can't be solely with the DOS program. It has to be something on my computer, but I've run out of ideas.

Thank you for any help,
mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Another bit of information...

I booted up into Safe Mode, and I DO NOT experience the problem. I would assume, then, that menas the issue has something to do with my video driver. But as I said, I am already using the latest video driver. Is there anything else I could try?

thanks,
mike.