Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DESKTOP, OUTLOOK, WINDOWS EXPLORER ERRATIC - VIRAL?

• Please log in to reply

ddevod

ddevod

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I need help.
My computer started behaving erratically. When in WINDOWS EXPLORER - The keyboard would not respond properly. Shift would expand the screen like the F11 key, keys would all be caps with no Caps lock. It actually was reversed. Enter seemed like it would do something different each time. DESKTOP - I would highlight one icon on my desktop and 3 more would highlight, it keeps going until all are highlighted and error comes up that I shouldn't open all these programs at one time. OUTLOOK – If I hit Ctrl A, it should select all, but it would go into the scheduler. It seems to only affect Microsoft items and the desktop.

I have run scans with AVG, Norton, Spybot, Spy Sweeper and a few others and they are not detecting a thing! I have had to reformat my hard drive 3 times.

The first reformat, I didn’t have problems until I loaded saved emails in a .pst file from an external hard drive.

The 2nd reformat, I didn’t load emails, but I used saved downloaded programs, on my external hard drive to reinstall. Same issues.

This 3rd go around, I haven’t used anything from my external hard drive and I seem to have no problems.

Lastly, my computer cannot be restarted. It has to be shut down and then turned on.

I'm afraid to place pictures and music back on the reformatted drive for fear of it happening again. It definitely seems to have infected different saved items on my external hard drive. Can anybody help me with my problem? What should I do to eliminate this STUPID threat?

Can I attach my external hard drive to my computer to run scans without infecting it again?
Please help if you can. It is very frustrating and I don't want to reinfect my computer, however all of my file are on my external hard drive right now.

Advertisements

Big Ant

Big Ant

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
You say the issues come when you install downloaded programs from ex. hard drive, if this is the case when you reformat install the programs one by one and when the machine starts getting these glitches you will know it was the last program you installed and not to use that one. If this doesn't help then it may be some virus so then post on the malware and viruses section to get help.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
If I were you I would add a Highjack log to your post on the malware section.

Scroll down to Step Five here:

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html