Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware problem (may be trojan.pandex)

• Please log in to reply

nocheinmal

nocheinmal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

This is my first post here - please accept my apologies if this is something obvious but I've searched on various search engines and haven't found anything quite like this. I am trying to help a friend who's having a problem. He seems to have been infected on 19th December (twice) with trojan.pandex which has been quarantined by Norton. Also in his quarantine folder is something called w32.1rcbot (three instances of this one between september and now). When you run a system scan with Norton Antivirus it says there are no threats - nothing detected. However, almost immediately on connecting to the internet the systemtray fills with what seems like hundreds of email messages being sent and getting scanned by Symantec email scanner. There are so many of these that the CPU usage hits 100% and the system slows to become unusable (and we of course disconnect from the internet when this happens).

As internet access is near-impossible, downloading tools to do scans seems to be off the agenda. Does anyone have any advice as to how we can clean up this system?

Thanks,

Nocheinmal.

Advertisements