Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Wifi Home Network

• Please log in to reply

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello,

I hope someone can help me with my problem. This is the scenario. I have a Laptop which gets internet (DSL) via a modem and then it distributes this via Wi-Fi and Internet Connection Sharing to two other systems.

The above scenario worked 100% fine until recently. The others systems are giving "The Connection Was Reset" error after loading about the second website. Some websites work fine but after a while the same occurs on websites such as www.yahoo.com making the internet on the two other systems useless.

The Laptop is fine and the internet is 100% Functional. I have also run multiple Virus and Spyware checks with rootkits and everything however this does not seem to the problem.

The only possible difference i can stop from when the problem started occurring is the new IPv6 which is installed on all Network Adapters on my laptop.

Please help i have been trying for ages to fix the problem with no success! :)

Advertisements

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Quick Update:

I think i have managed to isolate the problem. It seems that website that are geographically near are loading on my systems such as www.bov.com and www.go.com.mt however no www.softpedia.com and www.yahoo.com etc...

I have done a trace route via Tracert command on www.bov.com and www.yahoo.com. It returns a lot of Response Timeout Error and some steps especially on www.yahoo.com which i think is the reason why such a website is not loading.

I believe it has something to do with my host system that is my Laptop since the other two client systems are both exhibiting the same problems and i doubt they have the same problem each!

Please Help Guys! :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
May I suggest that you get a wireless router, hook up the system that does not have wifi to the router and connect to the two machines that have wifi through the router. You will be able to have a small network still but your laptop will be more mobile. as far as being able to connect to some web sites but not others please see the forum on malware. some one there may find a problem and offer a solution or you may find a solution from other peoples

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Router gives me a lot of problems due to the nature ot my DSL connection. I had tried it in the past but i was unsuccessful. Not even a professional network guy managed to do it because it was something related with an older version of my modem.

Also i like the fact that my laptop connects directly to the modem so that it gets the majority of the speed and also i can have total control of the network files.

As to malware i don't think it is related to any of that. The host system connects fast and without any problems to any website. It is the clients systems that do not.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I will research ICS later today but a few questions; 1) are the same web sites blocked on both machines (and are the same web sites alowed on both)? 2)are there permisions or restrictions set on ANY of the machines? 3) does the laptop work as a proxy for the other two? 4) FIREWALL???

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I will research ICS later today but a few questions; 1) are the same web sites blocked on both machines (and are the same web sites alowed on both)? 2)are there permisions or restrictions set on ANY of the machines? 3) does the laptop work as a proxy for the other two? 4) FIREWALL???

1) Yes the same websites are not loading / loading on both PCs. (Host system that is my laptop is fine however)

2) As far as i am concerned NO however is there a way to double check this?

3) I do not think so, however if it was so www.softpedia.com would load on the other two PCs since it is the most frequent website i access on my laptop. Before it was working fine and i did not change any settings that i am aware of!

4) No Firewall whatsoever on any system!

Thanks a lot for your help! The first post that tries to help me instead of telling my about malware :) I appriciate the help.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
tHANK YOU. I will look this up and get back to you, and give you instruction on permissions\restrictions. I will also provide some links to good free firewalls. You may have settings in windows firewall as the machine is SP2 and updated. (Yes some updates can change your settings)

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

tHANK YOU. I will look this up and get back to you, and give you instruction on permissions\restrictions. I will also provide some links to good free firewalls. You may have settings in windows firewall as the machine is SP2 and updated. (Yes some updates can change your settings)

Thank you again! Yes i am aware that updates can change the system settings. It is my fault because since i don't use the other two systems myself i was not informed about the connection limitations and thus i am now not able to track the changes i made when they went faulty. Otherwise i could provide more information.

The firewall is OFF however i have never tried playing around with settings such as ICMP and such. I hope you can help me on this. :)

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Update just to let you know: I have tried to restore the Firewall to Default settings and then Turn It OFF again and make the ICS again however i am still experiencing the same problem. :)

Packet Loss When Using Tracert

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The no packet loss tells me that it is probaly a permisson\restriction issue. You are connecting but can not view Please give me a little while as I am doing this at work inbetween jobs

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please do me a favor and post a Hijackthis {/url] log IN THE MALWARE FORUM ( I am not qualified to help with a hijackthis log) for both computers. My resoning is that you may be getting the wrong website from a host file. Also

Zone Alarm [url="http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/"]kario

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
kario

Zone Alarm
sorry was using word and it messes up my code

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Please do me a favor and post a Hijackthis {/url] log IN THE MALWARE FORUM ( I am not qualified to help with a hijackthis log) for both computers. My resoning is that you may be getting the wrong website from a host file. Also

Zone Alarm [url="http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/"]kario

Both system have been effected and getting the same websites blocked? I rarely use the client system which is located in my room and it is clean from any type of infection. Did multiple spyware check, hijack This scan, virus checked, deleted the host file and eve checked it to see if it is blocking anything but it isn't.

I truly believe this has something to do with my system. Let me post a Hijack This log of my host system.

Edited by davidbugeja, 28 December 2007 - 10:28 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please set the intranet security settings to default. It sounds like your host system is also the dns server for the other two machines. you may need to create host files for both machines. I do not know how to do this so you may have to start a new thread "how to write a host file"

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Intranet Security is set to default but still nothing new. Same problem :)