Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window Vista Update Error 800700C1

• Please log in to reply

jamieex

jamieex

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Its been about 2 months since my last Window Update, and whenever I attempt to update, it says:

"Windows can not search for new updates."
"Error Code 800700C1"

Help would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Are you signed on as Administrator?

This isn't your exact error code number, but it has been suggested as a work-around for the error code you get:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919749

jamieex

jamieex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks.
i actually tried this and worked.
I ran command prompt (run) as administrator, and typed in sfc/scannow
later on checked on my cbs.log which you have to access through the command prompt (as a administrator)
after the scan it'll tell you the location of the log, type in the location of the log in the command prompt.
As the log opens, search for dll files that cannot be replaced/delete or has found error, then google a website that provides dll files, download the ones you need and replace them. however, in order to replace the dll files, you need to give urself authorization properties>security(tab)>advance

Ari1579

Ari1579

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system was working just fine yesterday. Now today Vista cannot search for any updates. Error code 800700C1

Any suggestions???

HP Compaq 6820s
Vista business 32bit