Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Ideas: Warranty Help?

• Please log in to reply

henryguy

henryguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been putting together a build for a computer on newegg and am still in the process of deciding what I want. I was wondering if it's worth the extra money on buying their extended warranties on the following products they offer it for:
Hard Drives 2 year -> 14.99 Each
Video Card 8800gt 1 Year -> 39.99
700w power Supply 1 Year -> 29.99
2x2gb Sticks 1 Year -> 29.99
Asus Sli Board 1 Year -> 39.99
I already own my CPU and know it works flawlessly so I don't have to worry about that =P But I have read many reviews of boards, memory, HDs, vid cards and PSU's going bad months after they buy them. This of course is not good because their standard return policies usually expire after 30-90 days. The memory and the PSU are covered under the Standard Return so if it fails I can return those for a replacement within a year it says. Again thanks I'm not sure if the warranties are worth it by ordering the parts separately because I usually buy the computer as a unit.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
I wouldn't buy the extended warranty, while you won't be able to do an RMA through Newegg after a certain period of time, you will still be able to do one through the original manufacturer. For example more memory warranties are lifetime warranties, Seagates hard drives are 5 years, many power supplies have warranties which range from 3-5 years and so on. In most instances the warranties are plenty long enough, so you shouldn't have to worry about buying additional warranty through newegg.com
James

henryguy

henryguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Awesome thanks =P Thats 100+ bucks i wont have to spend