Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive swap with a little twist?

• Please log in to reply

jasonculp

jasonculp

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I should know the answer to this but I don’t…

I would like to do a fresh install of XPsp2 on a new drive but keep my old one as a slave. Can I set the new one up as a master and install windows, then add the old drive back in. Set the old drive as a slave to then move all of my files over to the new drive? I don’t want to keep any of the software; I will install it fresh. Will it try to boot to the slave? I have done many hard drive swaps after failure, but never trying to keep data on the old drive. After the the files are moved to the new drive I will format the old one and use for storage.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If your new drive came with a software CD it will let you do exactly that, and it's quite easy, they practically hold your hand to prevent you from making any mistakes. I've done it a number of times and it works very well.

jasonculp

jasonculp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I really didn't think it would be a problem. My drive didn't come with a disk, but moving files (pictures, money data, excel, other data files, etc) will not be a problem. I have just filled up my drive, and installed and uninstalled so much it is time for a new start!

Thanks

Jason

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Jason

You have two options here:

Method 1:
As you've already described, you can remove the old drive from the system, install Windows on the new drive, then add the old drive back in as a slave. The system will not try to boot from the slave drive unless you change the boot order in the bios so that the old drive is given higher priority than the new one (most newer bios's allow you to do this if you wish).

Method 2:
Add the new drive as a Master & leave the old drive connected as well (but as a slave obviously). Boot from the Windows CD & select the new drive to install Windows to. During the installation, the boot menu (boot.ini) will be changed to contain both Windows installations. The default will be the fresh installation but you will also have the option to boot the old installation if you choose. If you wish, you can manually remove the old installation option from boot.ini later.

Which ever method you choose, it will not affect your ability to copy across the documents etc from the old drive.

jasonculp

jasonculp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks!

You have helped me out a lot!