Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Editor

• Please log in to reply

dakota9

dakota9

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I need to access my registry editor. It says that it has been disabled by the system administrator. This is the PC in my house, no one else uses it. I tried restarting in safe mode, but that didn't work. I need to do this because I need to rebuild the winsock 2 registry key if anyone has any hints on that.

Thanks for the help, hope to hear from someone soon.

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
You don't have "Administrator priviliges". This means you are only a limited account. Are there any other users on this machine? If so, log into one with "Administrator priviliges". If not, on the "Welcome Screen", hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice and yo should get a login prompt with the name "Administrator" or "Owner". Just press "OK" to login (no password) and go to your registry editor that way.

dakota9

dakota9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In Win 98 se, what is considered the welcome page? I tried this at several screens and all it did was restart after the first ctl-alt-del.

Thanks

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Oh sorry :D. I was thinking about XP. I'll tell admin about your situation and he'll be with you shortly. <_< What message do you get when you got to "Start", then "Run" and type regedit? Are there any other users on the computer? If so, try a different account.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try this program to correct your Winsock problem:
http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=21

Often times the registry editor is blocked by spyware and/or viruses. Have you scanned your system for these?