Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage in system process and very slow

• Please log in to reply

cswank

cswank

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need help!!!

The last couple of days I've noticed my system running very slow. I opened the task manager and found the CPU stays around 100% all the time, it may drop to 98 or 99 for a second but jumps back to 100. The "system" process shows to be taking 99% of the CPU usage.

I can't figure out the problem. I am very paranoid about spyware and virus. I use AVG and am free of viruses. I also use Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender and am free of all spyware. My system also sits behind a hardware router and I use Zone Alarm software firewall.

I've opened my case and cleaned it out, wasn't too bad. I've also disconnected all extra external hardware that is not required (only mouse, monitor and keyboard still hooked up). I can't however find out the source of the problem and what is slowing down my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Advertisements

cswank

cswank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update:

I downloaded and ran "Process Explorer" and it confirms that the "system" process is taking up 98 to 100 percent of the CPU usage. However when it shows the break down of the processes running under the "system" process, NONE of them are using the CPU ?!???!!!!????

Is this a hardware issue then? If so how could I narrow down what the issue is?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then disable what's left (all of it).
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Reconnect to the Internet when you AV and firewall are active again.done.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.