Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Change Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Working on a laptop for my sister-in-law. She's one of those that manages to catch viruses on a pretty regular basis. And, as usual, she asked me to speed up the machine. This time too, however, she mentioned that she is no longer able to select a desktop background.

When you go to Display Properties, you can choose a background color, you just can't choose a background picture. The word Background is greyed out and you can't click on any of the pictures. If you right-click on a photo and tell it to be the desktop background...it's never there.

On the color side, though, you can pick a different color.

I assumed this option had been disabled from the registry by one of the malicious programs I removed from her PC, but I can't find any such option. I even checked my Inside Out by Microsoft Press and couldn't find an answer to this one.

Have any of you ever seen such a thing? If so, how can I fix it for her?

Thanks,

magus

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since she has lots of virus activity, try the following. It's old but should still be valid:

Right click here and go to Save As, Save Target As or Save Link Target As and download the smitfraud.reg file to your desktop.

Double-click smitfraud.reg on your desktop. When asked if you want to merge with the registry click YES. After the merged successfully prompt, please reboot your computer.

You should be able to change your desktop back to normal now.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Ztruker:

It worked! I had already removed the viruses off of her machine so the desktop background was the only thing left to fix. You saved us...and just in time to. She was flying home today with her laptop.

Thanks,

Magus

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad to hear it worked, and thanks for letting me know. Happy New Year.