Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble with Video Card (7600 GS)

• Please log in to reply

ballinx30

ballinx30

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

Not too long ago, I purchased what was suppose to be a decent "gaming computer" from what they told me. However, immediately, I noticed that when I tried running "Counter-Strike" with V-Sync off (To receive 100 FPS), my textures and graphics were choppy and the movement was not smooth. The custom computer shop from where I purchased my computer seems to have no knowledge of building gaming computers. So I was mis-informed when they told me this would be a good "gaming computer." I thought the specs on the computer were good, so I ended up purchasing the computer by itself. Althought I've taken it back to the shop, they have no knowledge whatsoever, when it comes to adjusting my video card to work with Counter-Strike. I know that Counter-Strike doesn't require a whole lot of requirements, so I'm baffled why my graphics aren't crisp and clear. Here are my computer specs as follows:

Computer: Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHZ, 2.0 GB RAM of memory, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Monitor: Samsung LCD, SyncMaster 205 BW

I've done some testing myself and it can be the monitor that is causing some of the problems. However, I still believe it should be able to run fine with smooth movement and clean textures. If you guys can please help me out, I would really appreciate it. Either recommending me a different video card, new monitor, or anything that might help me out. Thank you guys!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi ballinx30! I should think upgrading the graphics card should do the trick, the 7600GS is an old card and I'm surprised they told you it was a "gaming computer". If you're looking at 100FPS, I should think you would need to go top-end and grab a 8800 series card from Nvidia.

I'm also left wondering what power supply they have in your system to run this "gaming computer"?

ballinx30

ballinx30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Troy,

I know the power supply is dirty cheap... They told me they gave me the cheapest kind. I just want counter-strike to run smoothly and I don't feel like spending 300-600 on a video card atm.

ballinx30

ballinx30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Another thing is when I run counter-strike with vysnc off, the texture and movements are smooth. However, I only receive 60 FPS. So the bullets don't even go straight. Hence the reason why I turn off v-sync. I heard I'm suppose to match my in game FPS with my monitor refresh rate. Do you know if this is true?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
First off, you certainly don't need a 8800 to play CS:S. I played it fine on my old 6600...

You say that with vsync off you only get 60fps? I think you meant on. You want vsync on, because not having it on will cause the graphical tearing that you spoke of earlier. Now for "only" getting 60fps, I don't understand what the problem is. Anything above 30fps is completely playable. 60fps should be silky smooth. The only way I can think of to raise your FPS is to increase your refresh rate (since vsync locks your FPS with your refresh rate).

ballinx30

ballinx30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Betty,

Thanks for all your help. I certainly had no problem playing counter-strike on the most amazing graphics ever on my old computer. The only reason I bought this computer was because they told me it was good for gaming. But, anyways, where should I go from here. It seems as if avoiding tears and poor quality graphics is inevitable. I've tried everything, I even tried returning the computer. LOL.

THanks for all your help. :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm a bit confused as to what the problem is. If there is no tearing with vsync on, simply keep vsync on and the problem is solved, no? If for whatever reason 60fps doesn't satisfy you, you can try turning up the refresh rate on your monitor if possible.

ballinx30

ballinx30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh, well with V-sync on everything is crystal clear and smooth. That comes with a price of no bullets registering in the crosshair. The bullets don't even go straight, so it makes the target almost impossible to shoot. With v-sync OFF, at least the bullets go straight, however the graphics tear quite a bit. So in the middle of all that, I found that 85 fps with V-sync off is the best. However, the graphics are still not where I want them. I had ZERO problems with my old computer, I find the computer shop at fault for building me a limited computer. My budget was $900, I basically gave them that money to work around it. Now im in the mix of fighting for my money back. I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to help me. Although I appreciate all that you've done. For now I'm just trying to return my computer.