Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Favicon Troubles

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of constructing my own aviation forum. We're running IPB. Now, I want to make a favicon for the forum. I've managed to place one, but it only displays in Firefox; from what I understand, this is a problem with Explorer, since it only reads the favicon if it's called favicon.ico. Unfortunately, when I name it favicon.ico, it won't display in Firefox either.

I've inserted the icon in the HTML header, of course. Does anyone have any guess on why this might be happening?

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The favicon was placed in the root directory?

Like this one: http://www.geekstogo.com/favicon.ico

And you used:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

You may have to empty your cache for it to work.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi Pieter,

Thanks for your reply. The icon is located in root directory of the forums - as mentioned, Firefox shows it.

The code you gave me was slightly different from the original code in the forum, but replacing it made Firefox read the icon when it was called favicon.ico; yet explorer doesn't read it. I've tried emptying the cache. Firefox reloads it (I've tried emptying its cache and it reloads the icon).

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've tried inputting a non-relative filepath + adding a question mark in the end of the filename, still works for FF, doesn't work for IE.

Edited by landlord, 28 December 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Can you try:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

I'm afraid that will reverse the problem, but at least we'll know what the problem is.
Someone may then come up with a solution.

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
What size is the current icon? Is it in 16x16 format?

The following code should do the trick: <link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="favicon.ico" />

Is the forum online? If so can i get the link so i can test myself and play around a little bit.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for your reply. The icon is located in root directory of the forums - as mentioned, Firefox shows it.

The code you gave me was slightly different from the original code in the forum, but replacing it made Firefox read the icon when it was called favicon.ico; yet explorer doesn't read it. I've tried emptying the cache. Firefox reloads it (I've tried emptying its cache and it reloads the icon).

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've tried inputting a non-relative filepath + adding a question mark in the end of the filename, still works for FF, doesn't work for IE.

Can you try:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

I'm afraid that will reverse the problem, but at least we'll know what the problem is.
Someone may then come up with a solution.

I've placed the exact code in the header instead of the old one. It didn't work with the '/' before the favicon, neither in FF or in IE.

What size is the current icon? Is it in 16x16 format?

The following code should do the trick: <link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="favicon.ico" />

Is the forum online? If so can i get the link so i can test myself and play around a little bit.

That was the original bit of code (that is, without the image/x-icon). Didn't work with it. Yes, it is 16x16. The forum can be found here, don't mind the long address as we're intending to purchase a domain soon...

Thank you both for your help. I think I have a clue on why it's not working - when I saved the favicon, I didn't actually convert it to the .ico format. I just named it favicon.ico, so essentially it's still in .gif. Let's see what changing it will do...

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Currently on my system it is not displaying the Favicon on Firefox or IE. But i think this is because you are doing some sort of maintenance or so because i cannot locate http://avination.x10...com/favicon.ico

Let me know if converting it to proper ICO file works. If you want send my the GIF file and i will do it for you.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Update: Apparently I haven't converted the gif to ico. I've done this now, yet STILL IE doesn't want to show it.

Edit: David, just seen your post. Yes, I've been doing some maintenance. The file is not supposed to be there though. It's in the forum root (avination.x10hosting.com/forums/favicon.ico). I have no clue why it doesn't work - and I have converted it to proper ICO now :)

Edited by landlord, 28 December 2007 - 04:12 PM.

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
It works fine on my Firefox and Internet Explorer 7.0

Here Take a Look:

untitled.JPG

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
:) It does! :)

Thanks for your help guys! :)

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
No Problem! It was a pleasure!

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
:)

Now it doesn't display on IE again! And I checked it on multiple computers! :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
:)

Apparently I was wrong. The icon does display. Sorry for the trouble!

Happy New Year! :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Next time you try that... clear the cache!