Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Request help on renaming Hard Drive / Disk back to “C”

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi all – Request some help in renaming all my drives.
I have just replaced the hard drive (after previous one failed) and reloaded Windows XP.
My computer has a built in card reader and I have ended up with – Local Disk (H)
Removable Disks © – (D) – (E) – (F)
DVD-RW – (G)

I have only just loaded windows and if required would be willing to re-load again if required

Ideally I would like to revert to the Hard Drive = C and the DVD Drive = D
The four card reader drives I would like to shift up to P, Q, R, S, thus allowing spare letters for USB flash drives and a fire wire hard drive.

All help gratefully received as I don’t wont to start loading programs to H

Rgds rusty

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can change the letters in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer management > disk management. Right click on the disk and change the letters.

BUT, I wouldn't recommend this operation. Changing disk letters can create unforseen problems. Since you don't mind reinstalling, I suggest that you do this again but this time disconnect all your drives and card readers. Leave only the hard disk and CD drive. Latter, after the installation, reconnect.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The best choice is per what The Skeptic says. Then afterwards in computer management you can "assign" the drive letters to the card reader so they always remain those letters.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot change the boot drive letter after XP is installed.
It'll be stuck on Drive H until you rebuild the computer again after unplugging the card reader.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Neil Jones is correct about not being able to change the letter of the system drive. You can change the letters of the other drives but I wouldn't do that at this stage, when you are willing to reinstall. That's the surest way.