Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLOW RUNNING COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

James46

James46

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P600 computer bought in april 2002.
It has always been a slow running machine although there are very few files loaded and all it is really used for is e-mails and a few letters.
It is a pentium 4 768 mb 80 Gb DVD CDRW XP according to the invoice.

When i start the computer from cold it takes about 2 minutes and when opening Word or Excel it is probably about 30 seconds.
Is this the sort of perfromance I should expect ?

I am not computer literate and know nothing about how to test for speed of operation.

If I go to a retailer they will say I need a new computer just to make a sale!

Is there anything I can do ?

Any assistance appreciated

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.
I would start with a disk cleanup. This is located in system tools under accessories.
Also do a disk defrag.

Look under devices for any "? and !". Located in control panel/ system/ hardware tab.

Lets start there.

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I agree with 123Runner. Do the following and check if the problem still persist:

1. Clear Junk files: Open My Computer and right click on the main drive and select properties. After which press on disk cleanup.

2. Disk Defragment: Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

3. Spyware Check: Download a free utility such as Spybot, EMCO Malware Destroyer and SUPERAntiSpyware

4. Virus Check: Check your system for any viruses using your current Antivirus Solution

5. Remove Start-ups: Click on Start > Run and type in mscongif. Click on Startup Tab and remove any un-used applications

Try the above following and let me know if the problem persist. We can try also some advanced optimization to help you get the best speed from your system.

James46

James46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you very much for your interest 123runner and davidbugeja.

I have completed most of the suggestions as above. (i do these reguarly as the computer has always seemed slow). eg spybot, disk cleanup, fragment etc

the only task i was not able to do was the removal of items from msconfig.....firstly, i am unsure as to which to remove...and secondly, when i tried to remove one, the computer woud not allow it....saying admin rights were needed.

i have attached a word file with 2 sreenshots of the items in my start up......can you adivse which ones to remove please...and also how to get round the issue of admin rights required.

really all i use computer for is letters, email and surfing net......and i run avg (so would many of the other items be unrequired?).....if i remove them from here will programs beging when i click on them?

(my son mentioned removing items from prefetch?)

further to this....i have another question which might be the cause...or help with diagnosis....a couple years ago, RAM was added...and when i click on "my computer, then properties"...it shows 768RAM.....however, i just noticed that while computer is starting, on one of the black screens, i noticed that it stated 64 mb.....could it be it is not recognising the ram....or is this not possible!? as it does say 768 on properties.

to give you an idea of how slow computer is...it is taking around 2 mins for start up (to get to desktop)...and then about 3 more mins before it "settles" or i can actually do anything on computer). and it finds it difficult to handle more than one task at once.

when the computer is run side by side with my sons laptop (which we have established is inferior on all specs we think (smaller hard dirve, lesser % free space, celeron m instead of pentium 4, 504 ram v 768 ram)....the desktop is left lagging minutes behind.....

I am very very grateful for your assistance...i really woudl be delighted if i can speed this machine up, instead of buying a new one.

Attached Files

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi There,

Glad to have been helpful. Forget the Prefetch thing. That will actually make the computer slower next time it will start because as it is called it will not find things that it had prefetched before, so leave that.

Regarding Startup you have way TOO LOT of programs loading with windows that will slow things down. You will need to remove some things you do not use to speed things up such as jusched which is a Java Scheduled Update. You will also need to be logged in with administrator rights in order to perform such an action.

May i suggest you use TuneUp Utilities 2008 which a Trial Version is located Here. Using this 30-Day Trial Run the follow applications: Disk Cleanup, Registry Cleanup, Registry Defrag, System Defrag, TuneUp System Optimizer and finally use TuneUp startup manager to help you indentify better startup entries so you can select which to remove.

This will help you get better performance from your system. Also for the RAM Thingy Right Click on My Computer located on the desktop and check from there. 64K memory is impossible to load windows so double check from where i told you.

Also a huge amount of installed application such as in the case of my system will slow things down. If you really want the best speed from your system and you have some time to spare and necessary computer knowledge may i suggest you do a complete format and re-install a fresh copy of windows! That will make your system feel like new!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, but I disagree with David on this one. I can see no reason for you to do a clean install of Windows XP. All you need to do is spend some time looking at the items in msconfig Startup then checking them against sites like:

Black Viper's Services Configuration
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Disable all that you can. Remember, if you disable something and find out it's needed, just re-enable it.

Also, make a list of everything you disable then go into the options or settings for each program and see if you can turn it off there. Disabling n msconfig is really meant for diagnostic purposes, it's always better to disable the option in the program itself if possible.

James46

James46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok....i will ignore prefetch idea.

I have run tuneup...very useful, thanks for suggestion.

i would not have the ability to do a windows restore myself!!...so i will leave that.

the suggestions on msconfig are good, thanks. (i think david and ztrucker, you are both telling me to do the same thing here....ie compare my startup progrmas with lists on net, and then uncheck the boxes under msconfig in run)....i have found some that are not needed.

I cant do this fully on the computer tho...i am hoping you can advise me on how to do this.

how can i get the admin rights i need? (and carry out solution properly?)

I keep getting the message that admin rights are required.....so when i uncheck boxes...and then re-start...computer starts in "diagnositc mode"......i have right clicked the start button and i have option for "explore all users"...(which i though meant i was administrator)...seemingly not.

anyway....i have tried to start in safe mode (use of f8) and then log in under "administartor"..and then carry out the process of unchecking boxes in mscongig......but it still gives me the same "admin rights required message"....(which is odd to me as i am logged in as adminstartor....all be in in safe mode...maybe thats why it wont allow).

........when i disable many of the programs in msconfig....and then restart in diagnostic mode....the start up is very very good....miles faster than before....so i feel like the disabling of start ups is defo the answer to slow runnign of computer.....but i just cant seem to do it, and start computer normally

how can i get the admin rights i need? (and carry out solution properly?)

there are 3 other users set up on comp if thats of any use to know.

Edited by James46, 31 December 2007 - 04:22 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the the computer in safe mode. You will have 3 accounts shown: Administrator, your user account, guest. log in with Administratir account. Open Control Panel and then open User Account. Choose Change an Account. Click your account. Choose Change My Account Type. Check Computer Administrator and then click Change Account type. This process will give you administrative rights and will enable performing msconfig.

Regarding msconfig: Please uncheck everything except:

AVGCC
Adobe
Netgear WG111t.

I am aware that one of the unchecked items is ZoneAlarm. I guess it's the free firewall. My advice is to remove it and use Microsoft Firewall which is good enough for the vast majority of computer users, including myself. Zone Alarm takes much more resources. When I removed it from my computer that's in itself created a noticeable speedup. When you remove it the computer will be set automatically to Microsoft fire wall (assuming you have sp-2 installed)

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
All you need at startup are the anti-virus and firewall programs. I agree Zone Alarm is too bloated and suggest using Comodo firewall. It is highly rated and uses few resources.

http://www.cnet.com....0632335s,00.htm

Use ccleaner to remove any startup programs. Use the tools/startup button to delete startup items.
Also use it to run the cleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

firewall testing:
http://www.matousec....sts-results.php

Edited by latigid, 31 December 2007 - 10:32 AM.

James46

James46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok...zone alarm gone.....i am going with windows as you advised.

still having a problem with admin rights and the msconfig....i can successfuly uncheck the boxes....the problem is that even though i am defo have admin rights....when the computer starts up again....i get the message that : i have began in a selective mode...and do i want to change back?.

things is....when making changes in utility configuaration box...whenever i uncheck boxes of services...the screen at front goes immediatly to being "selective"....then when i change back to "normal"...all services are re-checked.

so the question is....is what you expect....and also, is thiis totally acceptable to be on "selective mode"...

shoudl i just tick the box that says i am on selective when i start up...and leave it at that?

agree re choice of services to leave on...i have done this...adn all is running well...other than this last issue.

much much quicker once onto start up.....1.4 mins to get to destop...and within 2 mins i can open and work normally.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand the problem. If you ask whether you can boot in Selective Startup then the answer is yes. Make sure all the items under Selective Startup are checked and reboot the computer.

James46

James46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i will explain a bit better then.

it seems that it is not possible to reboot in "normal" mode...as this auto re-selects all of the services (most of which i wish to be switched off).

the only way i can reboot the computer with the services off...is in "selective" mode.

so at the moment, i can only get the desired reult of having far less services on start up.....by starting in selective mode.

is it ok to always start in selective mode (ie from now on?)......

or should i be able to set the "normal" set up with fewer services?

if not clear, i can do a couple screeshots.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Normal mode will load ALL devices/ startup programs.
In selective mode, you are "selecting" what you want to load at startup. The ones you "uncheck" will not load automatically.

Those are ones that you can start from the program itself, therefore saving resources.

So, the answer is YES, you will now need to always start in selective mode. After you restart, there is a screen come up about selective mode. make sure you allow it to start in selective.

I can't remember the wording. You check it/ or uncheck the box.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To give you an idea: My computer is set to boot in Selective mode. When I open my Startup Menu I see a list of options, some checked, some unchecked. If I change to Normal Mode every thing gets checked automatically. What you should do is check Selective Mode, uncheck everything that is not essential and reboot.

James46

James46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
my computer has been running much much quicker for a while now....so that you all very very much indeed for your help.

like a new machine...excellent stuff...you have all been so much help. :)

Best Regards

James46