Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Problem

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi guys,

Today I tried to connect two PC's via ethernet. My PC has Windows XP Home installed, and the other Windows Vista Business. I connected the two and ran the Network Setup Wizard on the XP computer. After that, I enabled Internet Connection Sharing so that the Vista Computer can also share my Internet connection. It worked flawlessly. We can now both surf the net at the same time.

However, we would also like to share files between the two PC's. When I go to My Network Places, there is nothing there. I cannot "see" the Vista PC and neither can it "see" my PC. I can't ping the other PC and vice versa. What must I do to get this network working? All firewalls are turned off. Please help as this is sort of a crisis. :) :)

Thanks in advance,

Slikkie

Advertisements

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Lucky you! I have the same problem just vice versa. My ICS Doesn't work.

Okey lets try to help you on this. Are you on the same workgroup?

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Yes. The workgroup is MSHOME. We are both on the same group. The weird thing is, a few minutes ago the Vista PC was able to view my shared folders. But yet he was still unable to ping my computer? How is that possible?

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Run Ipconfig and type in /release, then ipconfig /renew on both systems and try again.

Also go into Control Panel and under Network Settings, make sure you have all the proper permissions in there TCP/IP, File And Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks, etc...

Make sure you are using the correct IP Address each time. If the systems have an automatic IP address gathering this will constantly change on a restart.

To view the system IP Address launch CMD via RUN and type in ipconfig.

Let me know if that helps.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I tried that just now. It did not work. :)

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Are you still able to share files between the two systems?

What is happening when you try to ping the other system? If the system is not found you should be presented which such a scenario:

Pinging 100.0.0.0 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 100.0.0.0:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Pinging ferdi-pc [192.168.0.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.16:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Can you still share files between to two systems?

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Only one of them. The Vista PC can see my files and copy them. But I cannot see the Vista PC.

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Check for any settings and ensure that VISTA is set to be visible in the network.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I've done that. The network is set to private, file sharing is enabled on the Vista PC, Visibility is ON, and Password Protected Sharing is turned OFF. We've tried to LAN Age of Empires II a few minutes ago and it worked! How can it work if we can't even ping each other? :)