Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey i just received parts for my new computer, after an hour or 2 of putting in all the stuff i grabbed a 200gb Maxtor hard drive that i had. It was completely clean nothing was on it. So i put it in and it was set to be at primary hard drive, i have no other hdd in there. so i started the computer up and placed in my Windows XP cd, and booted it. It went into setup mode. i Waited until setup installed all the stuff, after 10 min. of waiting it automatically goes to the blue screen of death. I need help with this because installation of windows never began and i cant figure out why it is doing this if i never had anything on the hard drive. Also the hard drive was brand new.

Specs.
Case- RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WBP
Motherboard- ASUS P5LD2 R2.0 LGA 775 Intel 945P
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache
Memory- mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Video Card- XFX GeForce 8400GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16

Advertisements

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Did you try a second time? At which stage does it end (At installation process or file copying process)?

Try to format your hardisk using NTFS but not a quick format and let me know.

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it gets stuck at the beginning when it first shows the blue screen for installation. and the hard drive is also formated

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I think it is related with these problems:

Ensure that the CPU is stuck in place well including the heat sink.
Do you have an extra RAM Stick so you can replace?

Did you try a second time?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcomer to GTG:

90% of all XP install errors are ram related. You may need to download and run memtest86 to check them.

Also, is your XP cd OEM (came with another system) or an actual Microsoft retail cd?

Murray

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i'll try to take out the RAM and i'll try the memtest86, as for the Windows XP it is a retail cd that i bought brand new

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay, humor me here. :)

You say the hdd is formatted yet in your other posts you say the drive was brand new. New drives don't come formatted.

When you boot using the cd, are you getting the screen that tells you to "press any key to boot from the cd"? Are you following all the prompts including wiping any and all partitions and then repartitioning and formatting prior to the XP install procedure?

Murray

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i was also wondering if i had to use the support cd that came with the motherboard before doing anything else because the manual for the motherboard is not clear at all

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

i was also wondering if i had to use the support cd that came with the motherboard before doing anything else because the manual for the motherboard is not clear at all

That would be for drivers etc needed by Windows. Can't install those until Windows is loaded. :)

Murray

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry, wut i did was i took out the hard drive, then i formatted it and put it in. put in the windows cd and it came to the screen where it says press any key to boot, i did that then it goes to the blue screen where it says "Windows Setup" in the upper left corner, then it stays on that screen and at the bottom it says setup is loading files, it does this for about 5 min. loading the files, and then it just goes to the Blue screen of death where it says Stop:0x0000007B

Advertisements

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
do the installation again.

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i id run like 20 times already

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

sorry, wut i did was i took out the hard drive, then i formatted it and put it in.

How did you format it? What did you use?

Also take a look HERE for troubleshooting that error message.

Just curious, but is your new mobo SATA and what is your hdd - IDE or SATA?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 28 December 2007 - 03:17 PM.

nickcvet89

nickcvet89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i put it into a different computer and formatted it through Windows in the Computer Management window

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Check my edited post.

Murray