Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games crashing on startup

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Earlier today i tried to load up need for speed prostreet, which id been playing happily for about a week, it went to the usual black screen and the game cursor appeared however it then quits, and displays the "error encountered" message asking me if id like to inform microsoft. I restarted but no luck, thats all it does now. The wierd thing is it does exactly the same with all my other need for speed games but other games are completely fine. Sometimes it will get as far as the loading screen but again crashes. I tried reinstalling one of the need for speed games (the only one i actually have a disc for) and it said that i couldnt continue setup as it required directx 9.0c to be installed. It was and is, ive reinstalled it twice and checked dx diagnostics page to see that its properly installed, with no problems listed of the files tab. Anyone have any idea how i can get them to work again, it seems really odd that theyve suddenly stopped working. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
It seems that something has gone corrupt with EA files causing all NFS games not to load.

Did you try a scandisk?

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yeh it seems that way, although its only the NFS games that have been affected, The sims works fine. Also the NFS's are spread across two hard drives. I havent scandisk-ed, how would i go about doing that? Thanks for your respone

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
For Scan Disk

Open My Computer > Right Click on your Drive that contains Windows > From menu select Properties > Click on Tools Tab > Select Check Now > Mark both entries and press OK > Reboot and let the scan disk finish.

This may take a while to be prepared.

Also having NFS spread on two drives doesn't mean they will not go corrupt. If they all need a file which is located on for example Drive C: they will still not run :)

Hope that help and let me know if it fixes your problem.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Cheers, ill check the disk now and report back

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Let Scandisk do its thing, it fixed a bad cluster to do with my audio drivers (realtek was in the file path) but the problem is still the same. Any other ideas? I'm going to reinstall my gfx card drivers tomorrow, see if that does anything.

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
The error message : "<GAME>.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" is rather hinting to a conflict somewhere else, if your DirectX is installed and updated and/or if your gfx-card is updated so use latest drivers or eve perform Roll-Back if you have done any recent updates.

Also have your recently change the screen settings such as resolution or drive updates?

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I've had my pc hooked up to my lcd tv so had to alter resolution/refresh rate of the game to work with the tv. However its worked fine for about a week and then suddenly stopped.