Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow Windows XP along with other problems.

• Please log in to reply

vayne001

vayne001

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, im new to this forum and am having some problems with my computer being very slow. First of all here are the specs.

Windows XP Home SP 2
Main drive: 234 GB, 121 GB free, backup drive drive 112 GB with 82 GB free.
Pentium® 4 3.2 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
I use bit defender antivirus, adaware, and spybot
currently with firefox open the memory used/total is: 413/3996M

My computer has not been functioning properly for about a year now, almost since i got it. I have gone through the forums and tried to search for answers but was not very succesful. I am going to go ahead do a disk defrag and disk cleanup to start though, that seemed like a common answer to this sort of thing.

A lot of the time it just seems like the computer isnt trying. I will click to open a program or something along those lines, and when I press ctrl alt delete, it says the processor usage is at 10-15%.

My computer takes about 10 minutes to boot up. We have 4 user accounts and one of them takes 5x longer to load then the rest. I have gone through and the only program that runs on startup is bit defender antivirus. When logging off the one slow account, it hangs on saving your settings for random amounts of time, especialy if you go straight to restart or shut down instead of simply logging off. I waited for 10 minutes one time with no change so i ended just having to press the reset button.

Another main problem is that lately the 'my computer' folder will not load up. The side menu bars appear, then dissapear and a little flashlight moves back and forth like it is looking for something, and it never loads. If i restart this can be fixed sometimes, but then it dies again soon half the time.

The computer functions but it is just very frustrating to deal with it.

Thank you all for you help I look forward to hearing from you :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The first thing you need to do is make sure your system is malware free.

Read through this area:
Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

Post your HijackThis log here:
Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.