Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make a dual core that was switch into single back to dual?

• Please log in to reply

Tek2006

Tek2006

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my son made my dual core into a single because he needed to do it for whatever he does on the computer, now the computer is sort of close, how can i turn it back to a normal dual again?
He did....:

1. right click My Computer or open control panel click administrative tools then computer management
2. click manage
3. click device manager
4. click the + by Computer
5. right click ACPI Multiprocessor PC
6. click update driver
7. do install from a list or specific location (advanced)
8. then click dont search. i will choose the driver to install
9. select the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface(ACPI)PC
10. go on with the instalation and restart computer

How would i beable to fix this.
Thanks in advance

Tek

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, altering the ACPI state from Device Manager is dangerous, even to an extent that Microsoft don't recommend you do this. But even then changing this shouldn't change it from a dual-core to a single core (this is usually an option in the BIOS).

Because every device is dependent on the correct setting (if you do a View Devices By Connection in Device Manager, you'll note that most things hang off ACPI Processor) in your option 5, loading the wrong one can be disastrous due to what the computer now thinks is incorrect hardware. The only real recommendation is to to perform a Windows Repair which will reset this option to what it needs to be for your hardware.

Tek2006

Tek2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Not to be a pain, but how do you do a Windows Repair?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html