Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build, Lingering Issues

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
story goes, i just made a new build which ran great until I tried installing another 2 GB of ram in which my system would not boot the OS but instead would sit on a black screen where i could move my mouse cursor but nothing else. Jackflash and I are experiencing the same issue and is described in detail in another thread:
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t181062.html

I reinstalled the OS and it runs FLAWLESSLY when i am on and using it for hours, however when i go to sleep i wake up the next morning to see that my desktop is in an endless boot cycle and will not boot the OS. Now when it gets to the infamous black screen with my mouse cursor if i press both the left and right mouse buttons it will beep and go to a "resuming windows" boot screen. and lo and behold the OS loads and I can use it for a few more hours until i decide to sleep...

My first thought would be the PSU is faulty, however i decide against that since i can run it for hours and even play Crysis for an hour or two with no power trouble. Is there anybody out there that could maybe help me with this issue? any help would be greatly appreciated.
-LPChris85

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I read somewhere that you should install vista with the original 2 GB of RAM then run Windows update and install all updates and restart then shutdown and install the other 2 GB of RAM and make sure memory remapping is enabled in your bios. hope this helps.

good luck

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
well new update, i downloaded memtest and booted as an ISO and the memtest shows that the ram has many concurrent errors. I have submitted an RMA to newegg and will getting new RAM shortly. hopefully this solves my issue, i would still appreciate input by the great staff here, that way i can cover all my bases :)