Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Phone bill for internet use very high

• Please log in to reply

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, for the last six months I’ve been using bt broadband option 2 to get my internet, here is a link to page that offers this service:

http://www.productsa...o?topicId=15761

Ever since we got the service the phone bill has been very expensive, the last one was £150 for the last 3 months with only £27 pounds going towards calls, the rest is presumably the internet cost. I don’t understand why its so much, the download limit per month is 8Gb and I’m pretty sure i don't exceed that, but i haven’t found a way to know how much I’ve downloaded and if or how much more i get charged if i do. I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me what the problem might be, thanks.

Edited by stuartie_b, 29 December 2007 - 03:56 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well it is £22.99 a month for the broadband on its own. That's the first £68.97.
Then don't forget your normal line rental - £13.95 a month with an Option 2 line = £41.85
Then the cost of your calls - £27.

£68.97 + £41.85 + £27 = £137, plus any processing fees and any other service BT are offering you. Then probably need to add VAT on top of this as well as its not too obvious from the BT site what and what does not include VAT at 17.5%.

If you exceed your allowance for two consecutive months on BT Total Broadband Options 1 or 2, you will be charged only 30p per GB (Gigabyte), starting from the second month. BT Total Broadband Option 3 does not incur any excess charges. BT's Fair Usage Policy applies to customers on all Options.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 December 2007 - 05:39 AM.

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi neil, thanks that was very helpful, i forgot about line rental, vat ect.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You can keep an eye on your call charges with this automatic service 0800 854 608

I used to ring it a lot when on payg dialup..

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hary's number is useful, and the same feature is available on BT's website.
Note that this is for calls made over the telephone side (voice calls, fax calls and internet dial-up modems) only, not anything to do with broadband.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 December 2007 - 06:43 PM.