Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freezing Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Reduxture

Reduxture

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
For the past maybe... 2-3 months my laptop has been freezing at the slightest nudge, push, or gentle breeze. I'm not sure what has happened but it's pissing me off immensely.

It's not the battery because I bought a new working one for it.
Not the hard drive because I bought a new one for it and it still freezes up (which I will return tomorrow.)
Nor is it a software problem (because the new hard drive couldn't have a software problem.)

My friend told me it might be a heating problem, because my computer does get fairly warm. But it's never hot and it's always in the area where the processor is. So it doesn't seem to be any of those problems.

Any pro tips?

Advertisements

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Check the BIOS for the Temperature. Can you use windows or is it frozen at all?

Reduxture

Reduxture

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Completely frozen. I tried going to my BIOS but it froze up before I got there.
(It wasn't hot at all.)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let's start with these:

In Control panel go to Administarative Tools > Event Viewer. Open each of the options on the left and see if there are any errors marked. We are not interested in warnings or in occasional errors. What we look for are red-marked errors that show clear time relation to the occurance of the freeze. If there are such, please inform.

Download Microsoft memory test utility from my list of programs below. Follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot the computer with the disk and run the test at least for an hour. If the computer freeze during the test look at the screen at see if there were eny errors during the test.

Reduxture

Reduxture

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Let's start with these:

In Control panel go to Administarative Tools > Event Viewer. Open each of the options on the left and see if there are any errors marked. We are not interested in warnings or in occasional errors. What we look for are red-marked errors that show clear time relation to the occurance of the freeze. If there are such, please inform.

Download Microsoft memory test utility from my list of programs below. Follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot the computer with the disk and run the test at least for an hour. If the computer freeze during the test look at the screen at see if there were eny errors during the test.

Where exactly is Administrarative Tools?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Click Start and then click Settings > Control Panel > Administrative tools etc.. What operating system are you using and what is the make and model of the computer.

Reduxture

Reduxture

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Click Start and then click Settings > Control Panel > Administrative tools etc.. What operating system are you using and what is the make and model of the computer.

Windows XP Professional SP2, IBM Thinkpad T40.

At this point I think it's about time to give up on my laptop, I have to hold down on the laptop to get it to run. I'll just wipe the hard drive and return it and save up for a new laptop.

Thanks for helping me thus far Skeptic but I'm fairly sure this is a lost cause if I have to hold down hardware to make it work.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I tend to agree with you. It looks as if there is some loose connection or another hardware problem. Wouldn't you consider a diagnosis or price quotation at a good shop? It might not be very expensive. Anyway, good luck.